Okay, so there were two things I wasn't satisfied with: the cleanliness of my workspace and the template. So I cleaned up, read the masonite template thread and made a nice template. I had a fun sessions on the predecessor to this board and learned a few things. I actually widened the tail up a bit so the gap between the winged area and further up isn't so drastic. I rode the board I shaped for my brother, which is similar but with less foam in the rails. Less foam in the rails has a huge (positive in my opinion) impact on how these wide boards feel edge to edge. So the new template brings back the 17" tail and widens the tail block slightly, while still being skinnier than the predecessor.
I had to make it in two pieces since I couldn't find masonite long enough. I sanded the blank a bit to remove the old lines and I'll put the new template on soon.
I made little holes where I can mark the fins. they're 11.25" up for the fronts, 5" up for the rears and the center for a 3 finner will probably be like 3.25" or so. I'm putting them pretty close to the rail, almost as close as the futures box will allow. Same amount of toe in on all of them, although that might change.
Boards shaped: 6
Did some more work tonight. With my template not a piece of shit, I got the outline on.
Some time later. I used a handheld jigsaw for the outline with a long, sort of wide and thick blade (so it doesn't deflect or bend as much).
Put some marks down for the double concave. Like its predecessor, this will have a deep double from near the front that fades into a vee behind the front fins. I think it's a good contour.
What the fins may look like. Fronts 11.25" up, rears 5" up. The fins aren't actually that long, they'll just fall on that line if you start at the back. It's just a reference. I'll most likely run EA fronts (a 3 fin set I like) and F4 rears.
A little wobbly but I fixed it. Not terrible for board number 7. I'm gonna make them a bit rounder up front on the bottom but keep it pretty foiled, then harder at the back. From the wing back will be 90* hard, which is more or less behind the front fins.
I mowed some foam tonight. Reduced the max thickness to 2.25" and kept a similar foil through the middle at its predecessor. I thinned the nose out more this time, and I think I might take even a bit more out of the tail. I'll go look with a fresh pair of eyes tomorrow and compare the two.
It's a similar rail to the last one, which is something I think I did right. It's sort of hard on the bottom, but the apex isn't so low that it's super hard and angular. It's still got some volume to it, but it's a bit less chunky than the last one. The deck is pretty flat.
This is the middle.
This is the front. I moved the apex up a bit in the front. Autofocus struggled on this one.
This is tail. I'm going to do some more work on it tomorrow and get rid of that square part behind the hip. The tail might just get another pass with the planer too. Rail bands and blending with wings is new to me.
A combination of slightly crooked, lopsided stands and my own handiwork. I'll fix it. It's not as crooked as it looks.
I'll do bottom contours and such tomorrow, or Saturday. Sunday there might be waves so I have to fix the current version. Some kook launched his longboard into me last time I rode it. He was riding around in the whitewash and just ditched it. Luckily the current version has quite a lot of glass on the rails. I got some cracks and barely took on any water. I didn't see his but I kinda hope he made out worse than me. Interestingly, it seems the rail acted as an arch and distributed the force of the impact. The cracks are above and below the impact point by about an inch. I think I made out well for a direct hit from a longboard being pushed by whitewash.
Here's how it sat as of Friday night.
You can see where this is going. Deep double to vee. My iight setup isn't quite even and I think the left side light is too high, which is why you can't see the vee, or my vee is bad. But I think it's actually the light being higher. I dropped the stringer height relative to the rails, so it's sort of like a combo of a single and double. It's always hard to capture bottom contours.
Here it is next to the old one. I saw this and realized my rails weren't thin enough. It's hard to tell, but the apex on the new one is a bit lower. Anyway, they were too thick, so I very carefully went at it with the surform rather than the planer.
I still need front fin boxes. They're on their way.
So now the rails are thinner and the deck's still about the same thickness as the old version. The tail and nose are also thinner. The vee is less intense since the tail rocker is overall greater. I kinda lengthened the double so it should have more effect under my front foot. i tend to ride heavy on my front foot.
Here's the old version, which as I said got torpedoed by some kooks longboard. the impace was in the middle, I think, but you can the cracks, the obvious one and the other just where the bottom of the board meets the rail. I gently heated it with a heat gun before and I apparently took on no water. There was no bubbling or anything. No I'm fairly sure his took more damage than mine.