FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

153 posts / 0 new
Last post
gdaddy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2008

FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

#1 Back to Top

February 07 2013 | Waves, Surfing, 

I wrote a blog post a few months back about glassing a surfboard in the middle of a party (to drive home a message of sustainability). What I didn't share in that post was far from the glassing process a board captured the attention of, literally, everyone who saw it. It was a Paulownia-encased Firewire.

It looked like one of the boards to the left and I'm not exxagerating to say that it stopped everyone in their tracks.

Let me set this up a bit... we've all seen our fair share of plastic and foam floating in the ocean. I've written a few blogs on the simple idea that EPS blanks can be made from recycled tv-packing trash and the fact that the use of non-toxic Super Sap resin for surfboard glassing is "ready for prime time."

Still, the Pawlonia-encased board I saw that evening seemed to nod to all of those concepts and take the dialog a few steps further. It seemed to be a logical extension of what my blogs have been saying... surfers should seek ways to minimize their impact on the environment that that includes the equipment under their feet.

It was heartening to see another entrant in this space, complementing Danny Hess's boards and the hands-on aesthetic connected to Grain surfboards.

Rather than try and encapsulate this innovation I thought I'd reach out to Firewire's CEO Mark Price and have him explain this innovation via a quick interview.

Jim: Your new boards look and feel radically different than pretty much anything I've seen. My experience is that literally every person that sees them stops and walks over to check them out. In a few words can you tell us about the construction?

Mark: Perhaps the biggest difference aside from the overall wood-look, is the fact that, except for very narrow strips of cloth to cover the seams on the rails, there is NO external lamination, just a hotcoat to seal the wood. In addition, by using Entropy Super Sap bio resin for the hot coats and in the sandwich, we've dramatically reduced the toxicity on the small amount of resin we actually use.

J: The second question I found myself asking (after being drawn in visually) is how do they ride? Firewire is known for being perhaps the first company with an alternative/modern construction board used by pros on Tour. Are these wood boards a niche Firewire product or will we see pros on these?

M: That is the best part. They still incorporate sandwich construction and parabolic rail technology so the flex is there, and by removing the external lamination cloth and resin, they are even lighter than our regular boards. Chuy Reyna believes Technograin performance is on par with any tech we offer, and Timmy Reyes just re-ordered his entire quiver in Technograin after riding one. We've also built Filipe Toledo and Michel Bourez boards as well which they'll receive shortly, so we'll see how they like them.

J: Nice. Tell us more about the construction, I found myself wondering how thick that wood is. Also, are these a part of the Sustainable Surf's Ecoboard Project?

M: Yes, they are and we're big fans of what Sustainable Surf is doing. The wood deck skin is actually 3mm thick, so it's is not a thin veneer. As a result it has tremendous structural integrity, and you also do away with all those minor dings and shatters because these is no cloth. Repairing them is a breeze as you can use any epoxy resin and cloth if needed, or even wood putty if its a small ding.

J: Ok, let me ask you a question about the eco-side of this equation. Everything I've heard is wild… from the foam to the paulownia wood deck to the distinctly different approach to glassing. Tell us how that all works together? Was it your goal to have such an emphasis on environmental footprint or did you arrive at that endpoint via another path?

M: We're always trying to make as green a surfboard as possible and still maintain a commercially viable product that also does not sacrifice performance, and costs the same at retail. We believe that for an Eco surfboard to succeeded beyond a cool niche, those parameters must to be met. We actually exceeded our expectations with Technograin and these are only the Version 1.0 recipes. The Paulownia wood is sustainably grown and we're reviewed the suppliers certificates to verify that. And by removing the exterior cloth and lamination resin while using bio resin hot coats, the toxicity is a fraction of a traditional surfboard. Version 2.0 will have recycled EPS cores, but we're not quite there yet.

J: Great, any last comments or thoughts?

M: I do want to mention Grant Newby, a talented Australian craftsman who first turned us on to the potential of this construction, and our internal R&D and production crew who worked tirelessly to make this tech possible in a production setting. Building one-offs or small quantities is one thing (and not to be discounted), but it also took a tremendous effort to overcome all the issues that arose as we tweaked the original recipe to increase performance and build reasonable quantities. Of course having our own vertical factory was a huge help.

J: Thanks Mark.

firewire_vert

Here's the thread on the other forum

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2464596&an=0&...

huie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 03/02/2007

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

haaa''

    interesting  considering  long before firewire     i was berated for bandsawing my own venners from selected timber

   oh'' oh''  balsa was the holy grail            thank you firewire  for confirming what i have known for so long

       now fellas   infuse your venners and it gets even better

    oh well  back to the cave''

    cheers huie

haavard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 13 hours ago
Joined: 03/21/2004

Re: [huie] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

huie wrote:

       now fellas   infuse your venners and it gets even better

I only have one question. How?

kayu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 27 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2009

Re: [huie] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

huie wrote:

haaa''

    interesting  considering  long before firewire     i was berated for bandsawing my own venners from selected timber

   oh'' oh''  balsa was the holy grail            thank you firewire  for confirming what i have known for so long

       now fellas   infuse your venners and it gets even better

    oh well  back to the cave''

    cheers huie

Begs the question H.....how many years will it take these guys to find the cedrela oderata !.....(lol)

solosurfer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/16/2008

Re: [huie] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

huie wrote:

haaa''

    interesting  considering  long before firewire     i was berated for bandsawing my own venners from selected timber

   oh'' oh''  balsa was the holy grail            thank you firewire  for confirming what i have known for so long

       now fellas   infuse your venners and it gets even better

    oh well  back to the cave''

    cheers huie

And the beat goes on.....as usual with the name brands.

The killers in high places say their prayers out loud

chrisp's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2006

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

droppin' hints Huie?

I'd just like to get my hands on some decent / useable Paulownia.

You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

Wood_Ogre's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 10/19/2006

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

now fellas   infuse your venners and it gets even better


now fellas   infuse your venners and it gets even better


now fellas   infuse your venners and it gets even better

Well said huie !!!!!!

stingray's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/24/2004

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

Neat. What ever happened to building Firewire boards in San Diego?


Let me guess???  Oh...I have a good idea......it doesn't have anything to do with materials.


Ray

oneula's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2004

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

first word

Gary Young

second word

Chris Garrett

third word 

Roy Stewart

fourth word

Paul Jensen

fifth word

Grain

firewire is the microsoft/apple of surfboard manufacturers

its all about marketing and taking credit for someone else's hardwork these days

Marconi must be laughing in his grave throwing darts at a Bell photo

a minimum of 120 degrees of motion in 6 weeks and I'll be back
kevincc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 07/19/2006

Re: [oneula] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

oneula wrote:

first word

Gary Young

second word

Chris Garrett

third word 

Roy Stewart

fourth word

Paul Jensen

fifth word

Grain

firewire is the microsoft/apple of surfboard manufacturers

its all about marketing and taking credit for someone else's hardwork these days

Marconi must be laughing in his grave throwing darts at a Bell photo

I evolved a lot of what I do straight from Gary Young and Bert Berger's work. They really paved the way for composite wood boards and were nice enough to share they're methods with everyone. Bob Simmons was also making composite wood boards back in the late 40's. Nothing new about this Firewire tech...

PaulJensen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/17/2004

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

Much credit for this latest  Firewire series goes to Grant Newby who advanced the process to this point...

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/green-waxless-board

lawless's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 05/21/2004

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

So, 4 years later Firewire is right back to the point where they started?

Swap Paulownia for Balsa and you're right back to where they started with Bert.

I guess they needed to learn it on their own before it really sank in that there was a method to Bert's madness.

Burned some bridges there, a quick call to one of the core guys in their startup strategy would have given them a wealth of knowledge.

They'll get turned on to cork in another 2 years or so.

I hate to be so negative about what is a really cool process and a great end result. It's the manner in which Firewire goes about it that leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

cuttlefish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/11/2007

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

Must be vexing to those in the USA who can't obtain cheap paulowinia to build boards with?

Grant Newbys build process sure copped a flogging on here.

I was interested in it but ultimately turned off it by that discussion.

Now Firewire have picked up the ball and run with it globally.

huie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 03/02/2007

Re: [cuttlefish] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

ha''    if they want to keep a good reputation i will bet there not using  monky glue to apply the skins''

      cuttle you should know the surfboard industry puts out more spin than our current politicians''

    cheers huie

unclegrumpy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 09/16/2006

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top


 


 



cuttlefish wrote:


Must be vexing to those in the USA who can't obtain cheap paulowinia to build boards with?


 



I wish somebody'd bring me a mass of paulownia...............

No; It's not an ironing board.

kayu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 27 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2009

Re: [unclegrumpy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

unclegrumpy wrote:


cuttlefish wrote:

Must be vexing to those in the USA who can't obtain cheap paulowinia to build boards with?

I wish somebody'd bring me a mass of paulownia...............

.....I wish balsa was as easy to get in OZ as it is in the US!!!!!!.....actually, I was told that the biggest use for paulownia in the US is the frames for upholstered furniture.........

PaulJensen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/17/2004

Re: [kayu] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

I like Paulownia better than balsa...Light enough and way stronger...Add to that the water absorption thing...

kayu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 27 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2009

Re: [PaulJensen] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

PaulJensen wrote:

I like Paulownia better than balsa...Light enough and way stronger...Add to that the water absorption thing...

To each his own Paul......regarding performance, paulownia has found a home with compsand boards , but it will not perform at the same level as balsa. A solid balsa board will still perform admirably , while solid paulownia has no chance.....depends on how its used......actually , there's quite a few timbers that excell past paulownia in a compsand build.......They are heavier , so allowances have to be made for any specific weight requirements......I think koa ($$$$$) and toona australis would be in this category , along with some others........Hawaiian willi - willi ?.....agave ?.......I use paulownia because its available at a reasonable cost , and people actually ask for it , due to the marketing of it as a surfboards wood...and it does the job extremely well.........

Quanta's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/18/2012

Re: [kayu] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

I like Queensland plantation Cedar. Palonia is too expensive. 

I will be coming back into the market shortly with my first Model. What Flywire is doing we did a long long time ago. I'll keep this short as I'm still navigating this forum. 

Who is we? you ask. Give 'Doris' a call or Chris Garret. or maybe Grant Newbry ;)


kayu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 27 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2009

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

A paulownia simm from a few years back.......no glass.....2 coats of waterbased epoxy.

kayu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 27 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2009

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

........

speedneedle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 09/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

FireWire....Paulounia...new?

Bitch, Please!!!

kendall's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/08/2005

Re: [speedneedle] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

speedneedle wrote:

FireWire....Paulounia...new?

Bitch, Please!!!

hahaha.  

cuttlefish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/11/2007

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

Glassless...new?

I just want a surfboard that performs well enough for me that doesn't need to be repaired if I say accidently bump it into the edge of the car door as I manouvre it in, or it slips out of my fatigued hands when washing it off after a long surf.

So far only the popout manufacturers can deliver on the second part.

kayu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 27 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2009

Re: [cuttlefish] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

cuttlefish wrote:

Glassless...new?

I just want a surfboard that performs well enough for me that doesn't need to be repaired if I say accidently bump it into the edge of the car door as I manouvre it in, or it slips out of my fatigued hands when washing it off after a long surf.

So far only the popout manufacturers can deliver on the second part.

......they supply you with a packet of anti-fatigue pills ?

cuttlefish's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/11/2007

Re: [kayu] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

kayu wrote:

cuttlefish wrote:

Glassless...new?

I just want a surfboard that performs well enough for me that doesn't need to be repaired if I say accidently bump it into the edge of the car door as I manouvre it in, or it slips out of my fatigued hands when washing it off after a long surf.

So far only the popout manufacturers can deliver on the second part.

......they supply you with a packet of anti-fatigue pills ?

The dropping the board after a surf was just used as an example.

I've never done it but I saw a few people drop their boards while washing them off during that last swell.

Ouch.

I do know I had one of the latest and greatest tech construction (and top dollar) boards made down the Gold coast.

It arrived with a sand through on the rail. It dinged much easier than any of the Firewire boards I've had regardless of whether they were fst or rapidfire.

The glass job was simply brittle. While resistant to pressure denting it would crack if knocked (lightly) on the edge of a doorway or whatever.

It also yellowed rapidly while never being left out in the sun and always kept in a board bag while inside the garage.

Sold it off and it had low resale value to boot.

I'm up for trying new tech but it gets costly when the board has low resale value if it doesn't work out.

chrisp's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2006

Re: [cuttlefish] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

cuttlefish wrote:

I just want a surfboard that performs well enough for me that doesn't need to be repaired if I say accidently bump it into the edge of the car door as I manouvre it in, or it slips out of my fatigued hands when washing it off after a long surf.

So far only the popout manufacturers can deliver on the second part.

That's a pretty easy order.

You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

Lostinmex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 01/03/2013

Re: [gdaddy] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

I agree with Oneula above. Firewire is the Apple/Microsoft of surfboards. If you dig hard enough you'll find accounts of disgruntled shapers online who feel that their designes were either ripped off, or they weren't compensated properly. Tomo surfboards is doing a line with them (the shapes are nuts to the eye) and I hope he's getting an okay deal. 

solosurfer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/16/2008

Re: [Lostinmex] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

Lostinmex wrote:

I agree with Oneula above. Firewire is the Apple/Microsoft of surfboards. If you dig hard enough you'll find accounts of disgruntled shapers online who feel that their designes were either ripped off, or they weren't compensated properly. Tomo surfboards is doing a line with them (the shapes are nuts to the eye) and I hope he's getting an okay deal. 

They can say what they wish and make all the claims they want, but when you put hundreds of boards out on consignment to kill the local shaper and drive the competition off the shelves....your time in the sun is soon to be over.  It's not a matter of if, but when.   The next big thing is likely already around the corner. 

The killers in high places say their prayers out loud

Lostinmex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 01/03/2013

Re: [solosurfer] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

solosurfer wrote:

Lostinmex wrote:

I agree with Oneula above. Firewire is the Apple/Microsoft of surfboards. If you dig hard enough you'll find accounts of disgruntled shapers online who feel that their designes were either ripped off, or they weren't compensated properly. Tomo surfboards is doing a line with them (the shapes are nuts to the eye) and I hope he's getting an okay deal. 

They can say what they wish and make all the claims they want, but when you put hundreds of boards out on consignment to kill the local shaper and drive the competition off the shelves....your time in the sun is soon to be over.  It's not a matter of if, but when.   The next big thing is likely already around the corner. 

If I understand what you're saying, every board I see in a shop by Firewire is sitting on the racks on consignment? So the shop hasn't paid for the board, its just sitting there until it sells, and then firewire gets paid by the shop? 

If thats how it working, my goodness. No wonder so many shops keep such a high inventory of Firewires.

solosurfer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/16/2008

Re: [Lostinmex] FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Back to Top

Lostinmex wrote:

solosurfer wrote:

Lostinmex wrote:

I agree with Oneula above. Firewire is the Apple/Microsoft of surfboards. If you dig hard enough you'll find accounts of disgruntled shapers online who feel that their designes were either ripped off, or they weren't compensated properly. Tomo surfboards is doing a line with them (the shapes are nuts to the eye) and I hope he's getting an okay deal. 

They can say what they wish and make all the claims they want, but when you put hundreds of boards out on consignment to kill the local shaper and drive the competition off the shelves....your time in the sun is soon to be over.  It's not a matter of if, but when.   The next big thing is likely already around the corner. 

If I understand what you're saying, every board I see in a shop by Firewire is sitting on the racks on consignment? So the shop hasn't paid for the board, its just sitting there until it sells, and then firewire gets paid by the shop? 

If thats how it working, my goodness. No wonder so many shops keep such a high inventory of Firewires.

Yes. That is the case. The house of cards waiting to crash. Living on revenue while the popularity is still there. Place and chase. Life of the retail side of the surf industry.

The killers in high places say their prayers out loud

Pages