The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the mainland

181 posts / 0 new
Last post
sharkcountry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 03/25/2006

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

Tuck in Hawaii we would say that the board has the Mana, the soul and spirit of all those who had a chance to touch it, or ride it. It has the soul and spirit of the beaches it was ridden at. And it will now have two fathers. The original creator, Roy, and now you are the hanai (adopted) father. This board is a great board. It has manifested a life of it's own, and will live on in history. Roy must be laughing his ass off at how well this has turned out.

oneula's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 06/10/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

I feel like tenover

I tried 

but I feel like tenover in just giving up on the whole idea

wasn't meant to be I guess

So I 'll Roy know

so sad what this and other places like it has become

maybe I'll just stick to my liitle neck of the woods from now on

as aloha doesn't need to be shared where its not appreciated

a lesson foreigners never seemed to comprehend

until they get eaten for dinner

FYI

Roy volunteered to send another one of his boards to California since the other one broke.

I guess I was stupid enough to think it was worth it to use what i would've used to just buy another board I really don't need to cover the cost of transporting the board from New Zealand to LA.

The only caveat was that it would have to go to someone I could trust who would honor its original intended mission

As I don't feel that ever having a chance of happening anymore I'm gonna pull the plug on what would've been a generous offer to do the right thing.for someone who deserved a chance to get their vision in front of the public

so the rats can continue to squaller with their $5-$10 contributions with hopes that this new Kickstarter project gets funded and they get their little $5-$10 worth of ride time when it arrives.

"LIFE IS ONO when you LIVE PONO"
Huck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 12/07/2009

Re: [oneula] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

oneula wrote:

I feel like tenover

I tried 

but I feel like tenover in just giving up on the whole idea

wasn't meant to be I guess

So I 'll Roy know

so sad what this and other places like it has become

maybe I'll just stick to my liitle neck of the woods from now on

as aloha doesn't need to be shared where its not appreciated

a lesson foreigners never seemed to comprehend

until they get eaten for dinner

FYI

Roy volunteered to send another one of his boards to California since the other one broke.

I guess I was stupid enough to think it was worth it to use what i would've used to just buy another board I really don't need to cover the cost of transporting the board from New Zealand to LA.

The only caveat was that it would have to go to someone I could trust who would honor its original intended mission

As I don't feel that ever having a chance of happening anymore I'm gonna pull the plug on what would've been a generous offer to do the right thing.for someone who deserved a chance to get their vision in front of the public

so the rats can continue to squaller with their $5-$10 contributions with hopes that this new Kickstarter project gets funded and they get their little $5-$10 worth of ride time when it arrives.

I wouldn't give up so quick - I don't think everyone understood what you were proposing.

BTW, LOL at the "eaten for dinner" comment, that was a good one!

"Welcome to swaylocks. We're the forum your friends warned you about."

Wood_Ogre's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/19/2006

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

Wood_Ogre made the offer no strings attached . The offer still stands in case something comes up with Tuck. Shark country is very right about the Mana. When I brake one of my wood paddles I repair it to the point that it can be used again then take it out and paddle it a few times but then retire it . The repairs are as strong or stronger then the original paddle . I always want to leave something visible of the repair that contributes to the Mana. It was the same after herricane Eva and Iniki, all the rebuilds of houses ,cabinets, furniture had something left to show what they had been through ,again part of the Mana . Wood boards get the same after many miles they get retired as I move on to whats next. Have never done anything like it with foam surfboards. Wood in itself has So much Mana. By all means Restore it so it can be used again but remember it has earned the right to be retired !!!

ambrose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

aw c' mon,Next board will be better.

fix the sphinx?

put the arms back on the venus de milo?

2008 face with bench

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/about-us/carving-the-mountain/an-inside-lo...

would it be more respectful to build another

greater,like a monument to Crazy Horse

or A testimony to female beauty out of Ewa Milo.

The greatest gesture of respect is to take the process

and take it one step farther,better the execution and the results.

Inspired indeed,respectable effort surely .

The next is the next,a broken effort

is a preamble to inspired

thought and action.

When the wheel gets reinvented

 the only reason to save the pieces

should be to study the grain runouts

 that contributed to the failure under stress.

Build six more

one for each

surfing coastline worldwide.

now we are opening 

a respectful conversation.

aloha from waipouli

...ambrose...

white elephants 

that are made from Ivory

are more valuable than

the ones made of emperor's tree.

Are surfboards just getting boring?

When agreements are lost over 

surfboards,should we be making canoes?

Canoes made of Koa ,a hundred years old

and more,now we are elevating ourselves.

nothing more noble

 than a timely goodbye

 to a fallen warrior.

<p>ambrose M. curry III</p>

ambrose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=347623&ppid=1122&...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cedar-Strip-Built-Canoe-Wooden-Boat-16-With-Ribs...

perspective on water craft.

... ambrose...

just an hours' reverie

derives a new humility.

<p>ambrose M. curry III</p>

johnmellor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/17/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

Yeah but.... isn't that wood strip canoe made in Viet Nam?  Why aren't Swayloholics up in arms over cheap Asian imports driving domestic canoe manufacturers out of business?

TaylorO's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

Maybe next time we can get one of those headed up north... Way up north, past where I could give it a try (One way or another - coming/going.), so Paul J. could give it a go.  I'm sure I'm not the only Swaylohik who would like to give it a go.

In fact - a good friend of mine make regular trips between Newport OR, and San Diego CA...

TaylorO

Huck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 12/07/2009

Re: [TaylorO] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

TaylorO wrote:

Maybe next time we can get one of those headed up north... Way up north, past where I could give it a try (One way or another - coming/going.), so Paul J. could give it a go.  I'm sure I'm not the only Swaylohik who would like to give it a go.

In fact - a good friend of mine make regular trips between Newport OR, and San Diego CA...

There has been some speculation about Roy sending a replacement, and we have a volunteer to rebuild, so there is a possibility we will have two of these boards here on the west coast.  In which case, your proposed scenario might become a reality.

"Welcome to swaylocks. We're the forum your friends warned you about."

kendall's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 5 days ago
Joined: 12/08/2005

Re: [Huck] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

Huck wrote:

There has been some speculation about Roy sending a replacement, and we have a volunteer to rebuild, so there is a possibility we will have two of these boards here on the west coast.  

I've heard rumors Mollusk has a container load of them on the way.

Huck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 12/07/2009

Re: [kendall] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

kendall wrote:

I've heard rumors Mollusk has a container load of them on the way.

the rumor mill continues...has Randy French been taking furtive trips to NZ????

;-)

"Welcome to swaylocks. We're the forum your friends warned you about."

kayu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 07/24/2009

Re: [kendall] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

kendall wrote:

Huck wrote:

There has been some speculation about Roy sending a replacement, and we have a volunteer to rebuild, so there is a possibility we will have two of these boards here on the west coast.  

I've heard rumors Mollusk has a container load of them on the way.

.....so this really was just another orchestrated maketing campaign ???............(lol)

solosurfer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/16/2008

Re: [kayu] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

No worse a marketing campaign than others that have been around these parts from time to time.

The killers in high places say their prayers out loud

kayu's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 07/24/2009

Re: [solosurfer] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

solosurfer wrote:

No worse a marketing campaign than others that have been around these parts from time to time.


..........(lol).........ah the internet !!!

johnmellor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 03/17/2004

Re: [TaylorO] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

Paul Jensen would be an excellent test rider.  They're not Pipeline but he knows where some good test waves are!

PaulJensen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 03/17/2004

Re: [johnmellor] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

johnmellor wrote:

Paul Jensen would be an excellent test rider.  They're not Pipeline but he knows where some good test waves are!

I understand 13' boards pretty well...I have one and ride it regularly...If anyone wants a spin, come on up and paddle out...

Aloha...

ambrose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

taylor ,build one.

...ambrose

<p>ambrose M. curry III</p>

solosurfer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/16/2008

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

art  Noun

  1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
  2. Works produced by such skill and imagination.

The killers in high places say their prayers out loud

TaylorO's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

Ah Uncle Amby...   How I'd love to have the time, enegy, and funds to do so, but, alas, that is not the case...

TaylorO

lcc
lcc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 04/24/2008

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

If I wanted a wooden board for DOH+ OB, only one guy I would order from, and that's the guy who names his boards after the avenues bisecting OB - Danny Hess.  Wouldn't go through Mollusk, however, lacking the obligatory neckbeard and skinny jeans...lol

Hess-Noriega1.jpg

chrisp's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 05/30/2006

Re: [lcc] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

lcc wrote:

If I wanted a wooden board for DOH+ OB, only one guy I would order from, and that's the guy who names his boards after the avenues bisecting OB - Danny Hess.  Wouldn't go through Mollusk, however, lacking the obligatory neckbeard and skinny jeans...lol

Hess-Noriega1.jpg

So so sexy!

Hess's look even better in person.

You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

ambrose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

the greatest respect to an inovative thought form

is to try to make it one increment better.

not having the time or energy to do so

testifies volumes to the depths

of professed respect aka interest in 

alternative world views.

...ambrose...

I'd love to try working with clay

but I just dont like to get

my hands muddy.

<p>ambrose M. curry III</p>

TaylorO's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

Have mercy Amby - I have respect in all kinds of things I'm not going to invest my precious time and energy in, and even if I had enough interest to try the PCB, does not imply I would begin to think about making something like it...  Heck, I spend more time thinking about trying a McCoy Nugget, and yet I can't yet imagine building one...

At this point I want to chop more vegitation to make space for my new shed, and then build it, and then...

TaylorO

hydro_skiper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 10/13/2011

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top


Hi roy

I love what you have done for surfing!

Huck's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 12/07/2009

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

The board was handed off to master woodworker Tuck today at Malibu, its on the road to recovery!

"Welcome to swaylocks. We're the forum your friends warned you about."

benr's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/02/2006

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

Someone was asking for someone in San Diego to deal with another 13' footer.

I have room and would be willing to try it out  I already ride an 11 foot board what's another 2 feet and a few more pounds?

My main goal is to go fast, the faster the better.

Steve83's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 05/05/2013

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

A lot of turmoil in this thread about Roy. I like his boards. I built a similar one but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. To each there own. Who would turn down a ride on that board anyway, I know I wouldn't!

SammyA's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 01/14/2006

Re: [Steve83] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on ...

Back to Top

Steve83 wrote:

Who would turn down a ride on that board ?

Me. I have no desire to ride a wooden abomination that is primitive, heavy, ugly and unwieldy.

Like one of my old friends always says: "We had a revolution in 1969 for a good reason".

Why regress?

I wish I didn't have to log in twice, every time I log in

ambrose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

is it watertight or a malibu water feature

at the daisy bar with JJ moon's elbow

resting a manhattan at his lips.

wait I sense a Gibson 

feel the onion?

...ambrose...

long live roy

its flat on my reef

out back... part way

thru shop clean up.

is it ever hot or what

as they say,atsui,no?

<p>ambrose M. curry III</p>

TaylorO's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 03/18/2004

Re: [gdaddy] The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the ...

Back to Top

part way thru shop clean up.

WHAT?!?  Say it aint so...  Ha!

TaylorO

Pages