Gonna have to do some serious weight trimming to this beast haha.
I did a chambered board out of sugar pine and redwood. Your gluing, as pictured, will be fine. For spot gluing, wood glue is like Brylcream, "A little dab"ll do ya"
What is the density of your wood (lbs per cubic foot)? I'm guessing it's going to be somewhere between 20 and 30. My last balsa board build had 7 lb/cu ft wood.
How long is the finished board going to be?
The grain is looking awesome. It's going to be a beautiful board.
The appearance of the grain, really looks like Douglas Fir, to my eye.
SHAPER SINCE 1958
Yep, could be Douglas Fir. Cedar generally has a much straighter grain. Also Cedar would be an odd choice for a Pier since it's so soft. We don't get a lot of Redwood over here so I'd be hard pressed to identify it.
Tblank - I got it all glued up and it seem a to be pretty solid. Enough to rough shape anyways.
Swied - your math questions start where my math skills end haha.
I can tell you at the moment it's 23" wide and 5'5 long. - finished board will be 20-1/2ish x2-1/2ish by 5'4.
I'm hoping to be about 25lb or less when done which I think should be able to hit. (Lots of chambering!)
Bill, I was thinking the same thing. If so, its a heavy wood for surfboard making, and watch out for splinters!
Cool project nonetheless.
"It ain't a race... it takes as long as it takes to be right." -Jim Philips
Wood was so crusty it was hard to tell what it was. I'm on board with fir.
It's a beast for sure but is coming along.
I cut my plan shape, roughed out my bottom and domed the deck.
Super fun to shape!
My biggest dangers so far have been exploding knots and a hidden nail. I might try a belt sander on the finish work and fine tuning.
95% shaped and then I cracked it apart.
The glue I used was plenty (could have got away with less)
I'll chamber and glue back together hopefully later today.
Then I need to fill all the voids. I still want to see them all so I am going to try filling with clear casting resin.
The use of clear casting resin, to fill your surface voids, is a good solution. Consider sealing the surfaces of the voids with CA glue, prior to applying the casting resin. Overall, it's quite a project.