DOS PUERCOS

Yep, two pigs.      Piglets, actually.      One will be eight feet long, and the other will be seven feet long.       PU foam, with epoxy glassing.       Just need to identify who the new owners will be.  A new direction, for an older design concept.

I will likely copy whatever you come up with on the 8-0.  Can’t wait.

all the best

Are these ‘Red Dot’ boards?

They will be.     So, the short answer is yes.      For some perspective, in 1959  I built and rode at WindanSea, a 7’ 11’’ x 20’’ balsa Pig.       Velzy and Jacobs were turning out  lots of 8 foot long balsa Pigs.     Beginning in 1958, boards started to move into the sub nine foot range.

By 1960, this was dramatically reversed.      This as a result of the flood of new clueless Kooks coming on to the scene, resulting from the release of the film Gidget, in the Spring of 1959.      The reaction of the ‘‘real surfers’’ was to move to longer boards, for better paddling speed, earlier takeoffs, and greater dominance/control of the lineup.      That earlier move to shorter and shorter Pigs, was never fully explored, back in the day.     Now, with advances in materials and fin designs, seems to be a good time to go a bit further down that path.      So, that’s where I’m going.       Want to come along?

Bill, please pm me with a price on the boards.  I’d be honored to own one of your boards (although I doubt it’s in the budget)  

Thanks, Rick 

Pieter out of Australia has been on a long streak of pigs all have had glass ons but he recently did one with a box which was pretty cool. He’s drawn a lot of inspiration on them from midget  

Nice for travel and fin options 

Triple capped and stringer on both sides  

Greg Loehr made an 8-0 pig for me a long time ago and it was a joy. I’ve tried to duplicate it several times and failed. Hoping to get some inspiration here. 

All the beast

Some Pigs, are piggier than others.   Historic Pigs had WP @ 1/3rd up from the tail.     These boards will have  WP @ 37% to 42% of board length, up from the tail.      Just one of many tweeks/upgrades that these boards will get.

DETOUR-------->   Before I go down the Pig road, I’m going to build a 5’ 8’’ BroomTail Fish, for my nephew.      This board will be similar, and smaller than the one I built for Rooster.     Tomorrow, Aug. 18th, I’ll have a ‘‘counciling session’’ with my nephew, which will determine the direction that the details of the shaping will take. 

I just want to make sure this thread doesn’t fall through the cracks.

I’m even more interested in the 5’8" than the originally intended pigs (though I sure hope those come to fruition as well).

I am excited to see how these turn out. I have always admired the look of these boards, but have never gotten the chance to ride one, or even the slightest clue on how to make a proper one.

Hi Bill, looks like an interesting project. I’m always intrigued by some of the old designs and their modern interpretations. This sort of thing is interesting me more and more as I grow older. Anyway, Please excuse this if it seems like a stupid question, but what’s the difference between a Pig and an Egg? 

The ears, and the snout.               Any board with the WP substantially behind center, is an outright Pig, or a modified Pig.      Example:   The Hobie classic Phil Edwards Model, of the mid 1960’s, was a modified Pig.      Though it did not look like a Pig.      All the foregoing, is IMO.

If you look on the Interislands surf shop web site in Honolulu you will see examples of both modern and classic pigs 

I just don’t see it.  Phil’s model was what became know as a 3/4 Speed.  Rick, Barry K, Bing, Brewer and most notably Michael Hynson all did something similar.  The difference was the lack of hips and the down rail tail in Phil’s Model.  

As they were all handshapes even in the 90’s there were sometimes a little variation in the rail mostly in the tail.  Otherwise no difference. And not “Pigs”…

My referance was to the mid 60’s PE model.       The WP was  +/- 5% of board length, BEHIND center.       On a 9’ 6’’ board, that was 5.75 inches behind center.     On a 10’ 0’’ board, that was 7.2 inches behind center.      The PE model, of that era, DID have a noticable break into the rail line into the tail, which constituted a hip.      In the 80’s/ 90’s period, the design was modified to a WP @ center design.     To the untrained eye, it looked the same as earlier versions.      But it was not.

Really?        Never doubt me.       I know my way around this style of board, and Phil’s designs.     I didn’t realize the ‘‘Pig Roots’’ of the design myself, until I’d been building them for over 40 years.

Well I currently own two.   One from the 60’s and one from the 90’s.  8’6” and 9’6”.  Had a 10 footer that I parted with a few years back as well.  A board collector who is no doubt one of the top experts on the West Coast about 20 mi. South of me owns three from the 60’s.  All of these boards whether 90’s or 60’s have the same basic template.  The wide point may be aft of midship, but they are not “Pigs”.  As I stated; there is a lack of hips.  Honestly the template is almost “Parallel.  The closest thing to that template is probably some of the Parallel rail stuff Rich Harbour did.  Ie “Trestle Special”.  You stated your IMHO and I stated mine.  I’m sure that if we followed your line of thought we could say most boards short or long are a “modified” Pig.  Phil said it best “You should have been here yesterday “ .  Granted you were!  But maybe you should take a lesson from Phil and move on.