Surfings new image board

im hoping I’m not the only guy who ever heard of these boards. In 1979 I bought my first “surfings new image” 6’8" gloss multi color orange and yellow. The place they were sold as far as I know was the Hobie shop in south Oceanside. What made these special is they had twin fins but they also sold this model as a tri-fin. The third fin was small maybe a couple of inches and glassed in but it was a legitimate tri in 1979. The board was stolen in 1982 at stone steps and I’ve never found another or who shaped them. I was 16 and didn’t pay enough mind I guess. If anyone has any info I would be happy to hear. They were awesome and cutting edge in every way.

A quick Google search for “Surfing’s New Image Surfboards” brought a number of results that all lead to Ben Aipa. Looks like it was his first brand or something like that.

Go to Stanleys surf decals web site and you will find several different decals under that name out of Solana Beach Ca

There was a Surfing’s New Image for sale on craigslist near me and I considered buying it. However, I did some research first and found that if it doesn’t specifically say Aipa on it, then it wasn’t shaped by him. Once I found this article, I decided to pass on the board: https://shredsledz.net/2018/07/surfings-new-image-aipa-sting-restored/

Thanks guys for digging out some info for me. Those boards really are indicative of Aipa in style. The board I had was full on bright colors top and bottom and very full in shape with a big tail and a very slight swallow and of course the middle tri- fin. Damn I wish I looked at the shapers markings but who remembers 40 years ago.

Here is my Surfing’s New Image board story.  My first board was a Surfing’s New Image.  Double wing pin Twin Fin with channels and a killer airbrush.  I purchased it in late July of 1982.  I actually worked all of June and most of July at a farm owned by a family friend to earn the $310 I paid for the board.  It was the first thing I ever worked for and paid for with my own hard earned cash.  Pretty much learned to surf on that board but by 1985 I’d grown substantially and Thrusters were the board to have so in late July of 1985 I traded the board in and purchased my first thruster.

Fast forward to late July of 2015.  I’ve collected some boards along the way and I hit Craigslist every now and then to see if anything of interest pops up.  I hit the website for the first time in a couple of weeks and there it is right at the top of the list.  My first surfboard.  Called the seller and told him I’d take it.  Drove clear across the state that morning to get it before someone else did.  Could not believe how nervous I was on the drive.  Gave the guy $100 for it but honestly would have given him $1,000 if that had been his number.  Literally got it back 30 years almost to the day when I traded it in.

Here is the ad.  I knew it as soon as I saw it.

https://image.ibb.co/ko6K39/my_board2_zpshtk3cyub.jpg

Me and the board 30 or 31 years apart.  Me a little fatter and gray and the board a little sunburned but all in tact…even has the leash that was on it when I traded it in.

https://image.ibb.co/b4B8wU/11215725_870821106287593_7074416755226530783_n_zpszodaflf4.jpg

Epic! Amazing story Mako thanks for sharing that

Cool story , and  thirty years ago you paid $310 for that board and now you can still buy a new short board for about the same money  , thirty years ago the board was made by hand in USA now they are made by machines somewhere else , the board made thirty years ago is now treasured will the new board be treasured in thirty years .  By the way , change the leash befor you surf it .

Outstanding story.      Quite special, IMO.

SNI was Donald Takayama’s label after he split from Mulhern and Brummett (MTB).

He was partners with Mark Livingston and Brian Logan in that venture. Aipa shaped for the label in Honolulu. The main factory was in Solana Beach.

Later on (1980s), Mike and Cathy Slingerland took over the label.

By 1982 Mike and Cathy Slingerland were running SNI.

$310 seems a bit high for the early 80s. I’m guessing you bought it from an east coast shop?

In 1980, John Mel built me a 6’8" round pin for $200, even. But, that was direct from the shaper with no middleman at all.

I saw a few of the Takayama SNI boards and they had some of the nicest glass jobs I’ve ever seen.

I worked at SNI as a polisher 1977 - 78 and as an airbrusher 1981 until the company dissolved around 83 - 84. Your board was most likely shaped by Mike Slingerland or Rick Hamon. By 1978 Donald Takayama had left SNI and taken the Hawaiian contracted labels with him. SNI owned owned the Surfboard Hawaii label so it stayed there and Mike Slingerland primarily shaped them. SNI & SH boards made from 1978 until the end where shaped by Mike and Rick. 

Mine is signed by Rick Hamon.  Also worth noting that the art on mine is on top of the glass job before glossing.

Your board was probably painted by Jeff Grygera. Jeff went on to shape for Lighting Bolt as a licensee in the 90s  and now shapes for Iron Cross in Cardiff. 

Around the time SNI closed, Rick Hamon and I went on to work at Channin. A few years later, Rick got hired at Rustys. He eventually became Rustys head shaper.

Wow, I didn’t think I’d get so many responses, thanks to all who contributed. My SNI was my first new board I ever had. It was $320, a fortune in 79. My mom would sneak $20 or so from my old mans wallet or she’d go without. I’d ride my bike from 3rd st Oceanside to the Hobie shop and make my payments. I loved that board. It was like gold to me.  One thing about my board was the logo was not a lam like I’ve seen in the pics. It was under all the glass and part of the color work on the deck. It was all on one line wave shaped separating the orange from the yellow and the whole board was colored yellow up high and orange to the tail. I hope to recreate my board in the future for ole time sakes. 

I have had this SNI fish for some time and always wondered if it was shaped by Takayama. It seems like it was made when he was there and before Slingerland and Hamon. It is not signed and says only “F-32” on the deck.

The lack of a leash plug indicates it was likely made before 1974. Hard to tell much of anything else with those tiny pics. The airbrush looks pretty cool.