Lance Collins Wavetools Hand shaping made easy

Lance still at it.  a short film I made at the Wavetools shop in Costa Mesa.  If you love carving out your own boards, worth watching.  #LANCEISBACK

…hello; I just watched the clip, I am a surfboard builder not only a shaper; included fin making and foiling; silkscreening; color work; glueing stringers and Balsa boards.

In my opinion, he is almost overshaping those blanks; too much removed from the deck.

About the clip: good music; some good action but repetitive without a criteria; like only for a shapers eyes. Better to start with the planshape or the cleaning of the blank then the mowing then the final steps; plus; the color work and glassing work. May be all that with 3 minutes more of editing.

Haha!  Nice to know he is still at it.  I remember him from the Pismo days…

I’ve often heard it said that blanks are less dense in the middle. However I’ve never actually seen any scientific proof of this; ie someone taking samples from various parts of a foam blank and accurately testing them for density. It’s an interesting question really. Anyone have any ideas? 

…go to a workshop grab one of the bones and see for yourself doing the “thumb pressure test” in the cut; middle, intermediate and under the crust.

Machine butchers most of the boards.

Reverb’s suggestion is sound, based on fact. 

His comment on machining is essentially true for the majority of CNC services that are clueless or don’t give a sh-t about the end product.

I continue to handshape from ‘raw’ (unmilled) blanks quite a bit, but the files I do have cut, the deck rocker is arranged from the file and the machining is miniscule from the actual deck, thereby netting a stronger lighter product. 

To each their own.

Footnote:  If you want more consistent foam, try molded superfused foam produced from ERDO/IDRO machines producing high grade EPS.