My egg story, continued. take 1 from stripped mal, take 2 a brand new one based on the old one.

Donald Takayama model that devon howard rides.

I’m doing it from a beat up 9’6" log that has been donated to me by a hire company up the road in noosa. Why not.

I know there will be limitations from the existing foam.

I’m looking at 7’0" by 21-21.5" with nose rocker around 3.5" and tail of 2.5".

There is no way I can get a real howard mini to look at.

I have never seen a Howard Mini myself. I scaled some rockershots in my CAD sketch collection.

I think you are quite close, maybe a tad more noserocker. My rough notes from measurements in those rocker shots indicate something like nose 4.0 / tail 2.5 for the 7´0" range Howard Mini. Seems to have a little flip in the nose as well as in the tail.

https://www.downthelinesurf.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/900x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/a/takayama-howard-special-cream_4_.jpg

https://www.downthelinesurf.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/900x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/a/takayama-howard-special-cream_8_.jpg

But this values are just from scaled pictures. Accurate centerline/stringer-rocker is hard to measure especially with the flip and the vee which is going on.

So probably not worth anything. Hopefully someone with real life experience chimes in.

Thanks man.

I appreciate it very much. I have spokent to a few guys that know Devon from around here, including Josh constable. Ex pro longboarder turned shaper. He seems pretty keen with my design as he has a model very similar but ya never know till you go… will all depend on what i can fit into the foam I salvage from the Longboard.

Here’s one.

Any chaance you can get a straigh tedge on it and let me know the ball park noe and tail rocker?

hahahah

I shot that tag when I was in California. I don’t have the rocker measurements, but I found this image of the rocker.

That rocker shot is one of those I scaled for my sketch database.

Unfortunately I couldn´t find the length of that board to calibrate my scaling.

I estimated it around 7´4 (just from “feeling” , how the proportions look).

Assuming it is 7´4, the rocker would be appr. 5"1/2 or 5"3/8 nose and 2"3/4 tail.

There is a rockershot of a 7.10, that I scaled as well.

Rocker seems to be somewhere in the ballpark of 5"3/4 nose and 3" tail.

I once had a 7.0 in my database, but the link to the layer wih the picture underneath is referring to a USB stick that went lost.

So I only see my spline/curve and the measurements in my CAD file.

That board was nose 4"0  - 4"1/4 and tail 2.5

To me (kooky backyarder without a clue) the numbers of the 7´10 and the other board (the one I assumed to be 7´4 ish) seem to be a tad higher than what I expected from those kind of boards. So maybe my measurements are wrong. I´m just chiming in, because you didn´t get any real life numbers by now.

You guys are both legends

I think the dims you mentioned earlier will be OK for this style of board especially if you are working with an old longboard blank.

natural rocker curve that can be appreciated by eye

If you have access to a copy machine with enlargement capabilities, try adjusting the image to the intended size in inches… If you’re after a 7 footer, manipulate the copied image until it is exactly 7 inches.  At that point, try measuring at 1 inch intervals and measure at each point from a straight line that is tangental at the mid point along the bottom.  

I think that should put you pretty close.  If your blank is limited, just fuck all that and go with whatever rocker you can squeeze out of the blank. 

You can use the same scaling method to approximate thickness foil as well.

Anybody else notice how different a deck vs bottom view can make the nose outline appear?  

Most likely this will be the way to go.

But just in case your blank can give you plenty rocker and you don´t want to mess with copy machines…

Thats a 7´10 scaled to 7´0 with rocker measurements every 0.5 ft.

(red marks are 1ft)

Beeing from germany, I measure in mm.

But I added inches as a second value (1/16 inch steps)

(open image in seperate window. it get´s scaled down in the forum and will show in full size in a seperate window.)

If I would build that board for me and the waves I surf, I´d go with less rocker than what the measurements show.

For me 4 nose / 2.5 tail would be fine.

I imported the image from the following link into PowerPoint.  I re-scaled that image of a 7’10" Takayama Howard to be 9.4 inches long (0.1 inch = 1.0 inch) – purple rectangle is 9.4 inches long.

https://www.downthelinesurf.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/a/takayama-howard-special-orange-_11_.jpg

Scaling 7-10 down to 7-0 would reduce nose and tail rocker from 5.6 & 2.7 to 5.0 & 2.4 respectively.

You can proportionally re-size the rocker as a ratio of desired to actual (e.g. 4/5.7 = 0.7 nose section and 2/2.7 = 0.74 tail section).  Multiply measured image rocker, at various intervals, in front and tail sections by the ratios calculated for the same.

Save image and print to get actual scaled image.

Just my $0.2.

Below is what the Mini Howard planshape would look like re-sized from 21.5 x 7-10 to 21.5 x 7-0.  Original image – not re-scaled – used.

Gray-fill of original image (21.5" x 94") is 1.63" x 7.13"

Planshape can be made as described here:

https://www.swaylocks.com/comment/549112#comment-549112

Third of 3 posts:

Image re-scaled, 0.1 inch = 1.0 inch.  Image size is now 2.15" x 9.4".  Image has been divided into 10 equal segments (0.94" long).  These lines/widths would be every 9.4" inches on a 7’10" (94") template.

To re-size to a 21.5" x 84" template, these same widths would be placed every 8.4".

In those first images, the board is angled back toward the wall.  Also did lighting and distance from camera change?

Deck rocker is flatter.  So I like using top view.

Fourth of 4 template posts:

I used gray fill to make foil, thickness and rocker easier to see.

Image scale is 0.1 inch = 1.0 inch.  The blue rectangle is 1.0 in x 9.4 in.  The bottom image has been divided into 10 equal segments (0.94" long).  These lines/thicknesses would be every 9.4" inches on a 7’10" (94") template.

To re-size to an 84" template, these same thicknesses would be placed every 8.4".  Thicknesses can be adjusted by multiplying all thickness measurements by the ratio of desired over actual thickness (2.75 inches).  For example, you want new max thickness to be 2.25 inches, multiply all original thickness values by 0.82 (2.25 divided by 2.75).

Save and print to get 9.4-inch long image.

Hi John, yes the top or bottom view can make a difference. 

Sometimes I think about a non-linear adjustment to compensate and then figure I am not good enough to hit it anyways so…

The numbers Harry found seems to work with the orange example:

…do not know who is Howard but checking all those numbers that you posted; in the end you will put that “precise” template on the blank and you will realize that depends on what rocker the blank have would be the final length; so the outline always would be work; no matter if its 1/4 or 1 inch less or more.