Hugh Thompson - Did he inspire the Meyerhoffer XYZ

Recently bought this Hugh Thompson Wettinverted, which was I believe inspired by the late Max Wetteland. It quite a fun long board and wanted to share it with the forum and hear what your thoughts are. It seems that the Meyerhoffer XYZ takes a lot of design cues from this, including the thinned tail and inverted paddle section. 

Dims are included in the photo and I’ve taken it out on two sessions about 2-4 ft and felt real good, take off is quick and has an easy pivot, and then wants I’m down the line it holds well for nose rides.

Pretty sure Hugh Jardon was the initial influence

Velzy did all that shite in the 50’s & 60’s…

Don’t forget Tom Morey’s Swizzle.

I’ve read somewhere that they were making longboards with ‘coke bottle’ templates in Australia a long time ago.  

A PIG, by any other name, is still A PIG.

The PIG didn’t have concave outline like those other boards ?

There was a guy named Frank Latta in Australia who did concave outline called The Bottle in 1993.

Velzy

So all these old time shapers tried the shape and moved on/back to original shape, why?

After seeing all these examples, that’s the real question. It never took off so maybe it should be retired, but glad to have a piece of surf history.

Hopefully get to take it out on sunday, I think it will be about waist to chest, so should be a good test.

Nice pic.  Thanks for posting.  I had only heard that Dale had done this.  Never laid eyes on one or even seen a pic.