Removable D Fin for a Pig?

I’ve been planning to shape a pig for more than a year and half, and am finally going to make time to make it.

I want to run a classic D Fin, as would noly be appropriate on a Pig, but would love to use a fin box and make the fin removable for easier travel. I know that D fins are designed to be run all the way back at the tail block. But with most foil plans, the very last few inches of the tail are usually too thin for a 10.5" Fins Unlimited box to be placed all the way back.

Would it work to make a removable D Fin with an offset/forward shifted base? 

I’d love to make the fin as well (glassed cedar or figured walnut) and could likely make up a mold for making the removable type base.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Pieter

Brilliant. Thank you.

Just looked up Pietersurfboards on Insta.

Famous surf guy Tom Wegener did some interesting testing on tail rocker, rails and thickness.  I seem to remember him liking the thicker round railed version (bottom) the best… 

http://surfapig.blogspot.com/2015/02/early-feb-stuff-flothru-phin-pig-fin-d.html#!/Phin-Black-YellowTint-Black/p/46895334/category=0

With the back of the box removed you could put a fin plate at the front of the fin and 2-3 roll pins along the base and just slide the fin in from the back.  

Thank you all - this is perfect.

Now I just need to decide on a Pig template and get to work.

Considering that most traditional “Pigs” generally have more than one inch thickness thru the tail.  A fin box could easily be sunk on the tailblock.  I’m pretty sure one of the fin companies make a “D” for a box.  I know I have seen one advertised.  Can’t remember who though.

A template is the easy part.

So after looking at my Rainbow Catalog ;  I see that they do indeed make a “D” fin for a box.

This is Rainbow’s offering for those obsessed with all things pre-historic.