Info on Hansen board

Have a 9’ 6” Hansen board hanging in the basement for many years, time to clean out the basement…  Am enjoying reading the threads here on these boards. After cleaning up the board I see the serial number 7317T and I believe it’s shaped by Bill Thrailkill in the 1960’s but trying to narrow down the year.  Can anyone venture a guess?  The boards in good condition, though has a few minor scratches. I’m in CT so have a few months of cold weather left to get this winter project completed. Attached are a few pix.

I’m sure Bill will be able to give you a year. 

Love those micro pin lines! 

Based on the serial number, probably a May or June 1966 surfboard.        And yes, I’m the shaper.      The fine pin lines were most likely done by Gary Brummett, a master glosser, and resin artist.

Made my day!  Found this site, surfboards Birthday, and it’s builder.  How cool is that.  Planned on cleaning it up and either used on the lake or finding a new home, but now I think it will become a conversation piece.

Thanks for the info.

After a year as a wall hanger this pandemic has led to room renovations an the board now needs someone to enjoy.  What would be a fair asking price in Connecticut for this 1966 board?  I see pricing all over the place and do not know whats realistic.  Would this site & craigslist be a good place to post?  If not appropriate to ask here please let me know and I will remove this update.

Thanks in advance

No idea on what it’s worth, however, one great place to sell that board is at Jamboards.com

This new member was also looking for Hansen info too.

Original post was in another thread and was not able to be moved to a fresh one.

https://www.swaylocks.com/users/gragedog

I joined because I saw a discussion on longboard history. recently I picked up a dismally painted longboard at a yard sale. The shape caught my eye in spite of the hack job, So I stuck it in the garage and pulled it out this evening. When I began to look for spots to begin scraping the paint off, I noticed that this board has deep grooves in the deck. Realizing someone had spent some serious riding time on this board, I  looked for and found some markings: “pointed tail”. I uncovered an emblem next to it that read :" The Master". Finally I found some letters written 6" inches high across the width of the board:" Hansen". I want to clean it up , if for no other reason than that it is a classic and deserves better. Does anyone have any knowledge or resources on this board, or, is it a knockoff of the real thing? Thanks

Nice find and very clean example.  $800—1000 on the high side at the most.  Hansen’s are the most common old longboard found in rafters.  I sometimes wonder how many may have been made in the 60’s?  A lot no doubt, because they seem to pop up on bothe coasts and in between all the time.  I remember reading thru the Hansen list of dealers in old issues of Surfer magazine and it was exstensive.   Your best bet of course is to sell it on the East Coast.  I think the West is pretty saturated.  I sold a nicer one than that last year for $600.

Put it on Craigslist in RI and MA, along with CT. Maybe even LI? Not much of a market in CT.

Stock mid 60s boards don’t fetch the kind of money they did a few years back. The current economic atmosphere adds to the difficulty in selling a board for decent money.

However, there are some collectors out there who may well find your board just to their liking. Ask 1200 and see if there’s any interest. Adjust accordingly. East coast market tends to be more lucrative these days. Hell, I’ve seen total garbage popouts sell for more.

A BT shaped Hansen Master was my last custom longboard prior to the ‘SB revolution’…wonderfully balanced board that did everything well.

Your’s is a beaut, needs to be ridden.

My board has a new home where it will be ridden and enjoyed as intended.  Now waiting to see photos of it in action :slight_smile:

Thanks again,