Wave Park Boards - What Would You Make???

Okay guys, here’s a little challenge for you. Let’s say you are going to create a board specifically for a wave park. Let’s say this type of wave park is just like Kelly Slater’s. Here’s the criteria:

The waves will be head high. Crumbly in the beginning, then tubing eventually on the inside.

No paddling out to the waves, you will simply jump off the side and leisurely make your way to the break.

No hassling for waves. You have the wave to yourself so not much needed in the ‘catching/paddling’ department.

If you lose your board, there is a chance it might wash into concrete walls/metal rigging.

So, is there anything you would do differently compared to a regular ocean riding board?

Are wave parks going to spin off a specific type of ‘wave park board’ or will most people simply opt for a ‘regular’ board? 

Anything else I haven’t considered?

Duplicate post, delete the other one.

No idea.  But in the NW we have a few river waves.  I have sold a few blanks to guys who ride those”waves”.  They have been attempting to work out a design that would be specific to that river spot.  So I would venture that people will start to design boards for pools as well.

I would bet that Slater already has a wave park board .

Could be.  He and a select few probably have lockers at the “Clubhouse” like Country Club members.  Boards and wetsuits, tennis rackets and golf clubs.  I’m assuming Coalinga has a golf course with a view of the Harris Ranch feed lots maybe.

I have friends who have surfed both Kelly’s pool and the Texas wave pool.  Just ride whatever you ride in the ocean in waves the same size.  With a leash there is no real risk at all of your board hitting anything.

Right, I understand that a ‘regular’ board will work well in a wave pool. But, will it always be that way? Back in the day, skateboards were relatively the same until Rodney Mullen started doing flatground, others started doing street, and the vert guys started to specialize (in tricks and equipment). I predict a day when surfboards will be even more specialized for their location. Not to mention, with perfectly shaped waves provided on a consistent basis, surfers will be able to open new possibilities, exactly how skateparks helped create new and advanced tricks never thought of back when 2x4s and roller skate wheels were the norm. 

I’m not saying wave pool boards will be revolutionary but I can picture a crafty salesman promoting the newest ‘design’ fit for wave pools. Maybe it’ll simply be a marketing gimmick, maybe not. That’s why I was asking. 

…the boards should have more floatation due no salt in the water.

Regarding no paddling, you can go smaller like the toe in boards; but depends on your associated skills.

Better a quad and better wide tail area; you do not need to control nothing; you need short arcs.

To whatever extent the waves being surfed resemble real wave forms then I don’t think it makes any difference how the wave is generated.  So whatever works for that wave shape/speed out in the wild should work the same in the zoo.  

You just won’t have to paddle out or hassle the crowd for a wave.  

I didn’t think of the salt water issue. Good point. So, it’s interesting. No paddling = smaller, but no salt = more float. 

…the smaller is due the designs are longer to compensate for the paddling and take off; if you do not have those, is better to go shorter like the toe in boards.

Depends on your abilities is how short you can go; hence to design a shape that can handle your body in a salt less environment plus the way you surf; but in those waves, as mentioned, better to have a wider tail but you can go with the same board as in the Ocean the problem is that it will feel long (if you try with snapbacks, slashbacks etc); so better is to reduce the length and add in the tail area and thickness in the middle. Another point is to change the foil; because you would not need (if the take off is easy) too much under chest or in the nose.

The idea that you need more foam due to there not being salt in the water has been discussed many times and everyone that surfs the pools agrees that, that is not the case.  Once you paddle and the board starts planing that factor is a moot point. 

Moot point, perhaps?      Only makes a difference in static floatation, and then not all that much.