How Long Before Tacky / Laminate Coate Culap

Hey all,

I’m doing my first cutlap.  If it’s around 70 degrees & low humidity, how long before I can flip the board and razor blade my line?  I’ve watched a lot of YouTube on this, but I need an idea of the schedule i.e., how many hours, maybe 1 hour, 2… I don’t know.  This is polyester, NOT epoxy.  I do most of my work in the evenings, and I don’t think I can go to bed and cut the lap in the morning.  It would be hard by then right?

Any advise is appreciated, please & thank you.

A zpper cuts needs the lap to be 80-90% cured, so you are looking at 3-4 hours, But maybe less if it’s warmer, and drier. 

Or…you can flip the board in 30-45 minutes and cut the lap along the tape line. If done with a steady hand, it can look as good as the zipper cut. Just make sure you ahve wax paper on the racks for the deck side to sit on.

This is assuming you are using 1% catalyst and not taking too long to laminate.

Also, Do not let the resin once catalysed sit in the pot, get it on the board as quick as possible. 

When the resin left in your pot has set to the consistency of Tillamook Chedar.

Thank you.

It finally cured in about 8 days.

QUESTION:  (For future ref…) How many drops of MEKP in 32oz of dark pigment tint lam, in about average temp of 65F?

GO!

8-10 CCs

That’s not enough CC’s for dark tint.  It will be a very slow set. Double or triple that.