Anyone know who might have made this board?

[[{“fid”:“109496”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

It wasn’t me!

Hope that helps narrow it down a little.

Peter Popout?

Sanding the top coat (paint?) could tell you more;

Since it has no value as it is, I would do it. Surprises do happen. Sometimes.

Popout, please sand off the paint. I’d be dying to find out what’s under there.

Al Merrick?

Nope, Dick Brewer.

Thanks guys! I was trying to gauge weather it is worth picking up, sanding down and restoring to something decent if possible.  Sounds like it could be anything under there.  Definately could be a Channel Island:) The stringer and glass-on gave me some hope. I guess I was hoping someone would say that’s definately a Velzy or something.

It’s 100% definitely an “or something…”

Why would you jump to such an outandish conclusion? Nothing about this board says it was made by anyone in particular.

It looks like someone did a crappy job of painting it. Hell knows what’s under the paint? If you own it, here’s what you should do.

Sand away some paint on the bottom, where the stringer would be. If you don’t see a stringer it’s a popout. Next, sand the paint off about 12-20 inches from the tail on the deck. If it has a label that’s where it should be. If you are thinking of buying it, don’t pay more than $25.

Good advice Sammy.  I didn’t intend to draw any conclusing, just looking for clues.  Sounds like the shape isn’t giving it away, so I will assume it isn’t worth the effort to go get it.  Thanks,  T

Rather than the bull shit you have had to endure by the Swaylocks experts;  if you were to give me a close up view of where the supposed stringer is I might be able to offer an opinion.  Based on what I can see, I would think that if you sanded off all the pigment you would have a “Popout” of some variety.  A board that came out of a mold with a Fiberglass mat finish, covered up with pigmented panels.  Brands could be Ventura Plastics , Ten Toes, Duke???  Any of the above and a multitude of others who’s names fail me.

Here is the stringer pic.  Thanks McDing!

Thank you.  Looking at the edges of the stringer I would say the board was pigmented at a later date.  Not during the manufacturing process.  Without a logo, number or signature on the stringer; You will never know who built this board.  Even if you were to sand off all the pigment, there is a possibility there might not be any identifying marks under it.  The wooden “skeg” is nondescript and of no help in identifying the board.  Common “D” style fin was used by lots of people in the very early 60’s.   Not a good investment.

Rather than the bull shit you have had to endure by the Swaylocks experts;  if you were to give me a close up view of where the supposed stringer is I might be able to offer an opinion. 

Hahaha, that’s right. Rather than endure the BS by ‘swaylocks experts’, you should definitely show McDing a photo of the stringer because then, without a doubt, absolutely positively, he will maybe be able to offer an opinion.

What??? The bull poop from the swaylocks experts is the bread and butter of the forum!

What’s up with the off-kilter color panels?

NO !   The point being that rather than offer the guy an honest opinion;  the Sway Bros have to make jokes about al merrick and belittle the OP and leave him hanging in shame.  Doesn’t matter that the guy thought he may have found something or not.  He ask for an opinion and with a closer view I was able to offer one.  Every time one of these guys throws something out here that they have found on Craigslist;  We all make him feel like a fool for asking.  Not necessary.  T-rav took it with grace.  Wouldn’t think that the above comments would come from a moderator.   Lowel

The ribbing was light hearted, it was an off the wall question with very little in the way of factual clues, so a few of us took a poke in fun, and in so doing, kept the thread alive and the conversation going. The original poster would also have learned that the board was not likely to be valuable, probably a popout, and that it would likely have to have the added color sanded off to see the original product. There was nothing in the way of hateful or vicious personal attacks. 

Thanks for the info McDing, I’ll pass on this one. I’ve learned a lot about board design and working on them from cheap Craigslist finds and reading here. Two of my favorite boards are a Trestle Special and unnamed Arrow I brought back from the grave. I’m in Oregon and don’t have a great selection of boards to work with. I like to bring them back for the fun of the whole experience and to apply what I like to my own boards. Of course I want to put my time into shapes that are relevant to the period, thus my question. 

I can take a bit of ribbing, but it does sometimes cross a fine line that unfortunately deters participation. I took no offense here, but I do think twice before clicking on new comments. If that’s the intent, I am happy to ask silly questions elsewhere…

Ditto.  There was no harm or vicious intent in my comment about Al Merrick making that board.  I did notice that there was no mention about the Dick Brewer comment.  Seems as if The defending poster was being selective.  It’s a good thing that those of us from N.J. have thick skin.  My comment was to add a bit of levity to a very scant post.  The board does seem to be a pop out, but without any sticker or identifying clues who knows who made it.