Fish starting point

Brothers and sisters. 

Was wanting to shape my first ever fish but not sure where to start off, longer/shorter, wider/thinner. Was wondering if anyone had any basic starting off dims or ideas they’d be kind enough to share. I’d like to go for something a bit more traditional looking as I have got a nice set of future keel fins. I’m using poly USBlanks. 

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions. 

…Hello, check in the archives for the “modern fish thread” or similar name to find all what you need.

Ive shaped a few fish now,l. I wanted traditional but with a few subtle modern extras. Little more toe and rake than traditional fish on the fins which are also flat foiled, and a mellow concave, i mean really mellow!

Im a kook so i went for 5’8 from a 5’10 RP us blank. Nailed her at 2.75 thick and 21.5 wide. Kept the traditional boxey down rail, used the steve LIS dims to make the rails. Just made the bottom flat too mild single into slight v. 5° cant, 6.5" up and 1/4° in sone true ames clide beaty glass ons. Rocker is 1.5" tail and 3.5"nose

I spoke to a few local shapers that were really digging a concave on traditional outline due to only having beachies.

Ita been out in 1’ and its been out in head high + summer swell.

Take off really well, and turns on a dime. I think the rail shap helps the easy paddling and early entry. Hopped off of mulid lengts on to this and when therr are playfull clean waves its a go too. Doesnt bother me back side but i think thats personal preference.

My other fish is a 6.0 really pulled in, custom shaped performance keels and a pointy nose, knifeyer ralils. Killls it on high tides!

Im 180 and 5’10 at the start of the day!

Im much more inclined to go smaller id i shape another traditional fish but only if i keep my.water time up, at 5,8 it is more than comfy paddle wise and the length is fine once youve caught a few.

Where you looking to surf it?

Hey cheers for the info bro. It’s mainly for beach breaks. I usually ride longboards and mid lengths. I don’t think I’ve ever had a fish before or even been on one so it’s all new to me. I know the RP blank you mean, I think it also comes with a hybrid stringer option from my suppliers. Wow that rocker dim is really flat. I was looking at an outline on blending curves it’s the Lis fish A. Just after something not too wild or performance orientated, more of a alrounder.

Kind regards

simon 

Will do bro cheers. 

I actually used the outline from the Lis fish A, just took am inch out the length!

Dont be scared on the rocker, flat is fun, i only surf beachies and its never too flat!

A lot of people seem to over size fish being used too bigger boards, shortboarders think mine is on the large side… 

If you make it to big it wont turn and wont surf how a fish can, the flattness and wide tail are whay make the shape work, too much and it will be no fun

Hey bro 

Those Fish Blanks turned up this morning. Looking forward to getting started on one. Do you mind if I DM you if I get stuck.