fin and deck patches

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help on this : normally you would laminate the deck or fin patches at the same time as the whole board glass on the relevant face … 

BUT if you wanted to tint the fin patch brighter could you mask and glass that first-  , then in a light tint once cured glass the whole underside as per normal with cut laps etc to create a two tone tint , 

again would that work with the deck as in first layer of glass ( or would that result in a less strong final surface ) 

many thanks !

I do inlay-style deck patches and fin patches in a separate step before the primary lamination.  These are in hemp but you could do a tint or opaque the same way.    In the fin patch pic the darker hemp covers up the high density inserts I installed for the side fins (I took the pic prior to routing the side fins in).  

tht looks great , good to know it works ! i guess comercially it takes longer so not poular way to go about things ! 

Define what you mean by “brighter”. 

Pretty vague. 

Usually I do first layer of glass, then rout out and set my fin boxes, then deck and tail patches. 

I’ve done deck patches on top a few times and just hit them with some fill coat to cover most of the weave but leave a little texture.  It works really well to hold the wax.  

Late reply, but yes it’ll come out fine. I generally use a little rubber roller along the lap line to push the cut-lapped edge down into the foam a little, so I can glass straight over it cleanly. See below, which was a two stage bottom lam.

[[{“fid”:“110308”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]