old board gets a face lift

(try again)

It had some issues.

Still working on bottom, thinking about maybe changing fin setup, but it worked well as a single.

It was in pretty bad shape, I almost sent it to the landfill, then I got inspired to try to revive it.

I had a delam - mashed in spot on the deck, and I wasn’t real happy with my repair, so I repurposed an old aloha shirt as a cover up.  I normally like to do this under glass, but in this case I just lammed the shirt on top.

looks awesome

Thnx. Up close & personal it’s nothing to write home about, but at least its presentable. I need to order more resin, and make a decision on fins, to finish the bottom.

The Aloha shirt looks very good. Well done.

The last picture looks nice and shiny. Did you give it a fresh (rolled) coat ?

thanx - yeah, I filled / sanded a lot of little dings and pressure dents, then sanded everything and rolled a very thin coat.  I did a tinted coat first over the deck patch area (before I added the fabric band).  It’ll get wetsanded by hand to 600 or 1000, but probably not polished.  Right now its back in the garage awaiting its turn to get the bottom finished, hopefully soon.

What happened?  Did it spend a 100 degree plus Summer in the Bako hell fire?  Gonna a take a 2xx extra large Aloha shirt for that bottom.

Love it. 

all the best

Lowell- that is exactly what happened! The bottom won’t get the fabric coverup, but I may get motivated to try a few more pinlines just to dress it up a bit. I bought some fin plugs to convert it to a quad, and some FGH epoxy resin to finish it up. I marked my plugs & carefully freehand routered the wells, resined them in place, & ready for a tail patch lam.

I had a lot of ideas for cleaning up the bottom, but they all involved more resin and more weight. This board has always been more workhorse than show pony anyway. I mean, I wouldn’t be embarrassed to hang it on my wall like this, but deck side out. So prolly just wet sand and call it good. Take it out & put some more dings in it, haha.

Nice work. What did you go with on fin setting?

all the best

I factored in as much info as I could gather, with special emphasis on some, and ended up very close to the numbers you sent me.

I placed my fronts at 16" up to the back of the fin.  They are 1 & 1/8" in from the apex of the rail, with 1/4" toe-in, and 5 degrees cant.  The back fins are 8 & 1/8" up to the back edge.  1 & 3/4" in from the apex of the rail, with 1/8" toe-in, and 3 degrees cant.  The fins shown are 4 & 1/2" base fronts, single foil (flat inside), with 4" base rears, double foiled.

Really enjoying the new feel of this old favorite!  Thnx for your help!

2 years later, and again I’m doing some major repairs to this old home-built workhorse.

Its probably 10 years old, rode hard and put up wet. Seen a bit more sunshine than a bedouin tent. Been repaired and rebuilt more times than I can remember. But its still my first choice 9 times out of 10, so I’m patching it up again. Repair not replace.

Aside from general rail dings, the previous repairs to the sunken curdled foam kinda sunk in a little more over time. So I mixed a thickened resin  paste and squeegeed over the low spots. Sanding to feather in the filled areas, and I’ll follow up with a final thin coat over everything.

Good job.  Nice save.

Ready for a few more waves. Admittedly I could’ve put a little more effort into color matching the resin filler paste, but the deck side still looks good. 

A board that speaks to you 9 out of 10 times when deciding what to take to the beach! Have you thought about doing a new one based on this one?

A board that speaks to you 9 out of 10 times when deciding what to take to the beach! Have you thought about doing a new one based on this one?

Yes - in fact I already purchased a blank awhile back.

I went through a lot of personal turmoil that disrupted my life, and only now am I starting to think about building some boards again, and working towards that goal. Planning to make it a “memorial” board to honor my late family members I lost, incorporate some special fabrics in a lam.

I am planning a close copy, but a little longer, and maybe a few (undtermined) design tweaks. 

Here’s a few screen grabs I have been collecting 

Back to riding as a single fin. This fin / location is a little squirrelly at times (maybe I was just getting used to it coming from a quad setup-) - but I think this is my favorite so far.

A few photos from the beach.