THE SHAPERS TREE............

…WHERE DID IT GO?      It seems to have vanished.          I cannot find it anywhere on the internet.        Does anyone have insight or knowledge about it?

your under the “50s”

Happy new year 

Aloha Tom,

Thanks for posting that up.         The first guy to take the time to explain anything about shaping to me, was Wayne Land.        I was able to watch him shape numerous boards, and also ask a lot of questions along the way.       The next guy to influence me, in the most profound way, was Del Cannon.        Del was a methodical shaper, with a creative, artistic, and ‘‘out-of-the-box’’   mental approach to surfboard design.        Phil Edwards, also had that creative, and facile mindset, when it came to surfboard design, understanding.        Phil really opened my eyes, on the subject of surfboard and fin hydrodynamics.       There is a lot of ‘‘cross pollenating’’ that is not reflected in the above chart.       I did believe that Del was influenced by Velzy, and that is what sent me searching for the tree.       Thanks again for the help.

Interesting graphic.  Did not see Jim Phillips or Greg Loehr.  Both of whom were strong promoters/users/supporters  of this forum in the early years.

Lot of errors in that lineage .    Just one for instance that I saw years ago.  Jerry Grantham didn’t even meet John Eichert until Ike had moved to Nipomo from SB and was doing very low numbers of longboards only.  JG had been shaping 20 years before that.  Don’t think I saw Ralph(Boots) Miller in that lineage.  Ralph was an excellent shaper and turned out a bunch of boards, many are still around prImarily in the Mike Hirscher Collection(owner of Wavelengths Surf Shop and sister Shop Pancho’s in Pismo) .  Miller was the very first to produce a model known as “The Performer”.  Don’t know where he learned his chops.  Drug abuse cut short his time in the shaping bay.  Miller opened and ran the original Pismo Beach Surf Shop and was a direct influence on a young gremmie Jerry Grantham.

Went to the link and found a few that I thought were missed.  Will update this post after a careful look.   Ron Cunningham, Roger Anderson, Mark Anderson, Duane Ignacio, Wayno/Wayne Cochran.  All legitimate shapers with solid industry backgrounds who learned or were influenced by someone before them.  Heavy influence by Ole on all Maui Shapers.   As far back as the 60’s;  lots of names left off.

Good to see Ghetto Rat on there.  The lineage from Al Merrick is essentially correct, but not exact.  Gibbons, Hoyte, Ghetto Rat, Loyd and PJ Wahl all worked for Merrick at some point and were no doubt influenced, but their shaping origins came from elsewhere.  Some were self taught and didn’t even see another shaper do his thing for several years.

That tree is diseased. lots of wrong info there. Not only am I not listed after learning the craft from Dick Brewer, Gary Linden ( who I did production shaping for. 4-5 handshapes a day, 5 days a week) Steve Morgan & more! Some of those guys I shaped boards for way after the date they are listed. I shaped my first board summer 1984. Kinda Hokey!