What tools are you missing to build fins?

Like most fin builders, I’ve developed my own process to design, foil and glass my fins. So I designed finfoil around my needs rather than other people’s.

This year I’d like to spend more time to help others building their fins.

So I’d like to hear from you what tools you are missing to improve your fin building process?

My process involves CNC machining and vacuum lamination. I’m planning a YouTube series explaining the process later this year, but you can already check the pictures below.

Please check out finfoil in 2020 for more info

Well I am missing the CNC machine and the Vacum System.

Well, I’ll be making a video series on some templated routing methods that can get you close to CNC accuracy just using a hand router.

And I developed a very cheap and easy vacuum system without the need for an electric pump, which will be covered too.

But I’m also looking for tools that people are missing in their current fin building process, rather than tools suited for my process.

The router jig sounds interesting.   I’m planning on putting togeteher a Vac system using an aquarium pump.  Right now I do Side fins by hand in pairs and the double foiled one at a time by hand with a Makita five inch grinder and hand sand.   Not currently doing glass panels.  Three piece ply glass-ons.

Same here - missing a CNC router and a vacuum system.

And time and money!

I’d really like a CNC router that works wet, under a water stream, to prevent all dust.

Oh, and a big enough workshop!

Hans, looking forward to seeing your presentations.

Lowel, I like ply fins too for ease of foiling. Too bad FCS2 and Futures are canted in the fins, make them hard to DIY.

Mik, I hear you about shop space.

I have mostly been doing SUP and sailboat stuff lately since I am ‘lakeside’ instead of ‘seaside’. The SUP fins and sailboat bits like rudder blades and leedboards get vac bagged with a 40$ vac pump (baby Gast from a surplus store) and real consumables (mastic, bag film, breather, peel or perf ply) from a compsosite supply shop. The film and mastic save the most time as you not chasing down pinholes in tape or recycled bag materials. Mastic can also be had from big-box stores as a roofing material.

I’m missing a shed.

But , have resin , fibreglass , catalyst , a  sheet of glass ,  electric saw , fibreglass cutting blade, tints , pigments , fabric , electric grinder , sander , fibreglass rollers , brushes.

I feel like I have everything I need.

Currently , I have around 360 fins ( which I have made since I first visited Swaylocks as chipfish61 , back in ?1999? , maybe ?)

This is waaaay more than I will ever need or use …(anyone need some ??)

Cheers !

Ben

[Quote=jrandy]Too bad FCS2 and Futures are canted in the fins, make them hard to DIY.
[/quote]

Futures, yes, but FCS II are canted in the plugs.

Huck, yes, sorry, my bad on that cant comment on FCS2. I was balling them in with Futures because of the undercuts and rout-outs of the new tabs.

FCS2 does allow old fins to be used, but to make a fin with the tooless change features would take some extra effort.

Since I don’t have the boxes or jigs or fins I have not ‘gone there’ so to speak.

Link to FCSII on Youtube

Really excited to see how you improve/evolve the FinFoil program. It’s amazingly easy to use for how complex it needs to be.

Painpoints in my mind to creating fins designed in FinFoil:

1. cutting fins designed in FinFoil

2. attaching appropriate bases to fins (Futures,FCS,FCS2,Bahne,Tuttle, etc.)

Solving for those 2 problems could simplify the process from FinFoil design->Finished usable fin.

I’ve got a lot of thoughts on how that could happen, but depends on what your goals are.

Happy to be a guinea pig for testing out workflows/processes though.

Thanks,

Those two points are on the list to be tackled in 2020.

There will also be a system allowing users to vote for their most wanted features.

Will keep you posted!

BTW new release of the desktop version in on the horizon including some important improvements including a way to increase/decrease the number of control points.

Hans--  I’m going to take a pic of my Makita grinder tomorrow and post it.  I primarily use it for grinding fin boxes, but works really good for grinding fins.  Just want to get your opinion of it.  I use it with a 4 1/2" or 5" Resin disk.

Hi Mike,

I don’t have much opinion on griders for fin building.

I mainly build plywood fins with just an excentric sander (and some spokeshaves when not using CNC or when only rough cutting with the CNC).

I don’t do finpanel grinding, I hate the dust.

To all finpanel grinders: Would something like a railband calculating feature (foilband for fins :wink: ) interest you for getting more accurate foils?

I use:

3 grinders (1 cutoff wheel, 1 resin impregnated sanding disc, 1 grinding wheel)

5" hook and loop sanding disc for my sander

1 jigsaw with a carbide bit

mini vise

Sharpie pen with the tip smashed

G10 fins take 20 minutes from raw material to surf-ready

I WISH i had a CNC router =)

I mostly use this $100 grinder with a resin disk.

I have heard the disks I use called “rosin”, but I’ve only seen the word spelled as resin.  I’m sure many of you are familiar with them.  That great company “Indasa” makes a variety of grits in these disks.  I have bought the 4 1/2" and 5" diameter, backed with a hard plastic disk.  The Makita grinder is a low RPM grinder, so not to aggressive, nor dangerous to use.

I’d like to have a vaccuum bag set up and the experience to work it properly.

Generally the wood for my fins first go through a table saw, then a jigsaw with a metal hacksaw blade to cut out the outline.

Foiling, I Mainly use a 4.5 inch angle grinder, with Flap sanders of various grits. Though I will use some flexible disks, often backed up with worn cut off wheels of various diameter to get a certain amount of flex going.

The 15 amp Router Speed controller is imperative with this tool to dial in the speed for the wood being foiled.

I find I rarely use my Milwaukee on  fins, especially multifins, but do have some old powerpads reduced in diameter.

A contour gauge helps me eliminate flat spots in the foil I can’t see properly with the shadow method.

A dremel with a drill type chuck and tiny drill bits are often used around the halo to help epoxy penetrate and lock in.   I have carved a groove in the perimeter to lay a roving halo within too.  Tab reinforcement for multifins the dremel is quite handy to have, and the right angle attachment on the dremel increases the precision of the tool immensely, in my opinion.

I use an old mirror for waxed glass, and a heating pad under it to get the glass and the wood of the fin upto temperature before saturating wood or cloth on the fin, then turning it off as epoxy starts to thicken. This helps epoxy get sucked deeper, prevent bubbles, and make the cloth clearer which has always been an issue.

My Fin making has been way too many steps, and I’ve rarely built any fin the same way twice.

My current endeavors are using a tablesaw to form perfect thickness tabs to just barely slide into probox inserts without the grub screws having to push the fin against the opposite side of the receptacle, but merely keeping it from ejecting from the board.   I want as much of the fin base touching as much as possible of the receptacle’s interior.  I feel this makes for better performance for a solid finbone to footbone connection.  Think of the load on the grub screws alone, on FCS 1 or fusion. 

I mave made a fin holder fence sled to accomplish this with 50/50 foil fins, Flat sided rail fins can slide against the fence nicely.  I have some 6 inch long drill bits in 1mm increments and some 5mm pulltruded carbon fiber rods to insert up into fins from fin base for tab reinforcement. 

A drill press and a precise fin holding jig, would be nice to have for this process.

Thanks for your in depth elaboration! @wrcsixeight

I’ll make some videos about a very easy and investment friendly vacuum layup, it can save you much time by doing both sides at once and does not require the preheating steps to avoid bubbles. (and it’s really easy, not much experience needed). Just give me some time, I’m still occupied until April.

I’m wondering why you need to lock the halo if you’re glassing over it, feels like a source of trapped airbubbles to me.

Regarding The Halo locking, with a groove on perimeter into which I laid roving one edge at a time with gravity assist, I try and have most of the strength in the fin and tabs and use as little exterior glass as I can, in a mostly futile attempt to keep the clarity good so I can see the wood grain.

I find that too much glass over a foiled fin makes they way too stiff, and the fins I made with the roving halo locked into the groove on perimeter, which were fcs1  half size trailer fins, have absolutely Zero flex, but the roving also forms part of the tabs.

I have not built any fin the same way twice, but have formed a tendency for extreme overkill regarding base and halo strength, and wasting time attempting to achieve it.