7ft X 20in PINTAIL GUN, with SINGLE FIN

Yep, this is a board I’m getting ready to shape.       The blank is in, and ready to go.       The board will be ridden in Calif.  Fiji, and Hawaii.      The client is a skilled and seasoned surfer.      This is the most enjoyable kind of commission there is to get.      The blank is PU, and the glassing will be Epoxy.     Single fin, in an FU box.      This board will be the lineal decendent of those first ‘‘mini guns’’  that launched the LightningBolt brand.       The fin design is still under discussion, as is the glassing schedule.      

Bill, please post a few images when you’re done. 

I’ll make a point of getting some photos posted.

may i ask why youre going epoxy? is that your preferred resin?

looking forward to seeing it! :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t do glassing myself, anymore.       Epoxy over PU produces a very strong finished product.       And best of all, I have access to a glasser, that for years did the glassing for Mike Diffenderfer’s boards.     The guy is meticulous in his prep, and technique.       And, I wanted the finished board to last, and hold up well over time.     So, that is the reasoning behind that choice.

Bill my ideas on a proper board for serious waves closely parallel yours.  Although I haven’t posted here in a couple years.

But I question the use of a removeable fin on a minigun or similar, although who can say without a look at the board?  Waiting for it.

Aloha Honolulu,

All of my personal surfboards from 1958, to 1969, had glass-on fins.      In 1969 I knew there would be a great advantage in being able to ‘‘fine tune’’ the fin position, to the board design and the rider preference.      I’d always had very good instinct on fin position.      By setting a fin, in the center of a box, and then positioning the box so that the base leading edge of the fin was in the ‘‘proper intuitive position,’’   there was maximum adjustability fore and aft, to fine tune board performance.       I was able to quickly extract the best balance of '‘hold’'and ease of turning, of my boards.       I have never detected any downside in board performance, because of the presence of a Fins Unlimited box.      In many instances, after determining the optimum fin position, I would make some custom spacers to fill the open areas of the box.      I’m not sure the spacers made any diference in speed and performance, but I liked the idea that they might.   The waves I rode with boxed fin boards, ranged from small California beaches and reefs, up to 15 foot Hawaiian waves at both Sunset, and Makaha.       Never had a fin related issue of any kind.       All that said, I have been well satisfied that if there was a performance downside, I’m unable to detect it.      The upside of changing fin designs, and fin positions, is too important to pass up.       Whatever style or size fin I’m using, I try to eliminate any hint of  movement or flex in the fin.     Alway good to hear from you.     Aloha.

Good to see you back here Charlie. Hope all is well.

Spotted on instagram…

Hey Bill, long time no see brother! If you are ever in Oceanside, please stop by! We need to catch up!

Well, the board is now shaped, with the exception of the final sanding.       I pretty much finished the board on Friday 2/14, and will put ‘‘fresh eyes’’ on it Monday the 17th, for the final tuneup/sanding.     Then it’s off to glassing, same day.        I’m sure some more photos will be posted up on the Bird’s Surf Shed site, fairly soon.       After glassing and fill coat, I’ll personally do the final block sanding of the board.        I’ve always considered sanding to be the final step in the shaping process.       I have found that it makes a difference in the finished product, and in its’ ultimate performance.

I’m anxious to see the final product.

all the best

Well, I went to the glassers shop, to rout in the 8 inch FU box yesterday, Mar. 16th.        I had not seen the board since handing it off.        The board was glassed and well cured.       The glassing was so good that the board looked like a finished board!     The hot coat (fill coat)  looked like a gloss, it was so smooth.       Not having seen the board in several weeks, I was impressed with how attractive the lines were, and how purpose built the board looked overall.       The quality of the glassing was the iceing on the cake.       I wish I were a young man again, and could ride that board in some quality North Shore juice.      But, alas, at 79 yrs old I’m well past that sort of thing.     Even the glasser was impressed with the board, and made a point of saying so.      He now wants me to shape a nine foot version of it for him, but I’m not sure I’m up to the task.      Like the line in the film, LEATHAL WEAPON,  ‘’ I’m too old for this shit!‘’

Bravo Bill. Glad you shaped another board. Mike

Where’s the pics???

When the board is delivered, photos will be taken and posted.        I have not been called back in for the final block sanding yet.

Probably be awhile. California is shut down.

Bill, I’m glad you mentioned the comment by your glasser. That remains my weakness.  Because I only do epoxy, I don’t do a separate gloss coat.  But your mention of block sanding is spot on.  The last several boards I’ve built have all been block sanded.  This really helps eliminate many of my imperfections. (But not all)

all the best to you.  Can’t wait for the pics.

So true.     I’m getting so much rest, that I probably will shape a board for the glasser.       Though I will try to talk him down to an 8 foot 7inch board, instead of a full 9 footer.