Bill Stewart Skil

So looking through EBay and see that Bill Stewart has his 5.5 Skil up for bid.  Starts at $1200.  I would link it if I could.  Just go to EBay and search Skil 100.  Any takers?

MC slacker

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skil-100-Planer-Collectors-Bill-Stewarts-original-shaping-planer-1973/352995845003?hash=item523031238b:g:oS4AAOSw5bdeZD3-

Thanks Tom.  We’ll see how it goes.

Nice paint, did the cord too. 

I wonder when the last time was that he used it.   I was in his shop a couple of years ago, it was chucked full of boards.

…because are machined.

I hope he gets all the traffic will bear. I sold mine to Kazuma for I think $500? I didn’t sign it.  Maybe I should have  

all the best

… because are machine.

kinda like a buffalo hunter retiring and selling his Sharps…would think the mantel a better place for it then Ebay…

Probably some CNC marketing guru who never hand shaped a board in life will buy it & put it on his mantel

:smiley:

I used to run jobs for a “briefcase contractor” who had a successful business using someone else’s license, never worked a day one on an actual jobsite (his background was in estimating). Yet his office was decorated with old vintage block planes and other sundry hand tools. It was all for effect.

They don’t bring the money that they used to on eBay.  The days of beat Skil 100s on eBay bringing $600-$900 are over.  I have 3 of them and wish I had sold two of them a few years ago.

My thoughts on this one:

1.  I’m sure its one of many Skil 100 planers he has.  He did a video a while back on youTube of his planers and I think he showed at least 4 just in that video.

2.  If I were a collector I wouldn’t want a planer from a famous shaper that had been recently painted.  Frankly it doesn’t even look like a great paint job.  If I were a collector I would want the planer to show all of its glorious patina.  Every scuff tells a story.

3.  The engraving looks recent.  The engraving looks great but the cool factor would be greater if the engraving showed years of wear.

4.  I wish him well and have added it to my watch list.  Hope he gets a big number.

Well said and very true.

Never the less.  The average EBay listing is still $600 plus.  Most everybody who wanted, one has one now.  I’m personally glad that the value has held at $500–600 plus.  That’s what an unaltered, not been used in years Skil should bring.  Once you do the kind ot stuff Pete does to them you should be looking at $750—$1000.  There just isn’t the demand that there was previously for them.  But they are still worth $$ and still essential to anyone who hand shapes.

Zero bids on the $1200 price tag… reposted for $1140 * now with make offer option 

Discussing the merits of this rattle canned planer at this price is a waste of time.

Yes Gene you are right, definitely is not worth nearly that much money pretty lousy paint job too. Check this one out I just restored it inside and out. Glass bead blasted,   Abrasive buffed, Then buffed and polished.

Well personally I think any thing to do with a Skil 100 is interesting and worth putting on my “Watch List”.  Would agree with everyone about the paint job, cord etc. ;   But honestly most of you probably know a little about Bill Stewart and his “needs”.   And if you do; You’ll understand why it’s at least amusing to see what happens with this Skil.  Those rubbed out and polished Skils are beautiful.   But I could nor would ever want a Skil 100 that has that mantel piece beauty about it.   Pete does mine and makes them functional and useful.  Bearings, brushes, blades.  Whatever it takes to make it a functional Skil 100.  Makes the improvements with regard to the depth adjustment and base.  Bead blast and paint.  That’s far enough for me.  Something that’s useful and looks better than it did when I gave it to him.  I’m very happy with that.  I’m not a collector.  I’ve made a little $$ reselling them, but hopefully all of those went to people who put them to good use.

I started polishing one of my Skils like that and lost interest.  Ha!!!  Its a fair amount of work.  Someday I’ll do the other 3/4 of it.

Mitch that’s a beautiful job.  Polishing is easy for the parts that can be done on the grinder buffing wheel, it’s when you have to use the Dremel then I give up.  I noticed you have a “Force Machinery” tag on that 190.  I got this earlier tag on a 676 from NC and put it on one for a guy here who’s from NJ.  Know anything about Force?  I’d phone but there’s not enough numbers, and I’d need the “zone” to write them.  1951, first Skil’s showed up and so did I - must be destiny.

I did some research, and what I came up with is that Force Machinery Company was a large tool and supply store in New Jersey that opened in 1948 and after 63 years they closed up shop in 2011

From what I understand, they ordered Skil planers in large quantities, with their name badges on them, or they put their badges on when they received them. I am not sure which.