First board

I got this eps blank for free so I’m taking the plunge at my first board. The blank is 8’8 and I’m going for a 7’6 egg. I hear eggs are a good place to start and my quiver lacks one. Is 7’6 too short for an 8’8 blank? Can I go shorter? How do I know where to trace my template in the blank, so that my rocker can be proper?

I’m thinking soft rails to a hard rail in the tail. I’m thinking flat or single concave to a V in the tail. Does anyone suggest one or the other? I’ll typically be surfing this in beach break. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on nose and tail rocker? 

Sorry for all the questions, I’m a complete beginner when it comes to shaping, but very eager to learn!!

https://imgur.com/a/9pbQl4Z

From my own experience, I used a little too much nose rocker and abiut the right tail rocker in my egg which was 7’2. I has about 5 in the nose 2 1-4" in the tail, used for beach breaks. It’s great in the bigger stuff with some shape, and in the smaller stuff but misses out a bit in the shoulder to head and a bit when the waves are softer. I would go more like 4 1/2 nose 2 1/2 tail if you rider shorter boards.

Flat too v allways works, slight concave would also be fine. Hard edge from about 18" before tail. I wouldn’t go too soft in the rail unless you want this for smaller days only

All you questions are to be found here if you just take some time and study the site. positively, there is gold to be found here.

the Egg…look at one. why would the creator call it an egg? my idea is because everything flows, all curves flow into eachother. even from deck to bottom.

maybe not the best choice for a first time board building project, sorry. theres alot going on in that design. just my opinion. go for it! :slight_smile:

Taking a 7-6 length out of an 8-8 blank could add to the difficulty of a first board build, but then again maybe not.  It depends on how much nose and tail rocker you want to end up with vs how much existing rocker that blank has** at that shorter length**.  

This is where your placement of the template on the blank can make a big difference.    If you place the template further to the rear then you end up with more tail/less nose rocker than if you place the template in the middle.  And so on.   

So try this: lay your blank down on a flat floor, place your template on it and then take a ruler to measure the distance from the bottom of the blank to the floor at each end of the template.   That will give you an idea of where your bottom rocker is starting from.    If you find that your starting point is a little too flat then don’t sweat it  - it’s pretty easy to add more rocker at each end during shaping.    It’s when you have too much rocker overall that it becomes more difficult to get what you want out of the blank.  

8’2 would be more appropriate for that blank.  I understand that you got it for free.  If you stay with 7’6 just position the template outline at such a place that gives you as close as possible to your desired nose and tail rocker.  You’ll have to move it back and forth and check rocker in different template positions.  Do this with bottom up and the template positioned on the bottom not the deck.

Thank you all for the advise. I measured and ended up just doing my rough outline basically centered on the blank, I want a relatively low rocker board. I’m thinking 3.75-4" in the nose and about 2" in the tail. Does anyone recommend something different?

Also would like some advise on what kind of rails I should use? 

Thanks you guys

think eggy

Delete

20.5" will probably work.  Just get it symmetric.

Awesome, thank you McDing. Do you think the tail and nose dimensions will work as is?

True it up and stand it up against the wall.  Use your eye to determine whether or not the outline flows.  Those nose and tail measurements can work, but you may need to adjust them a bit to get the overall outline to flow.  A few tips on cutting an outline;  Use a decent hand saw. Doesn’t have to be a long blade. A tool box length will work just as well.  In fact, you may have better luck with the shorter blade.  Less possibility of bending or angling the blade.  They make a short tool box saw that is sold at the Depot that has the Shark teeth.  Fairly stiff , short blade.   I prefer the “Shark” tooth blades.  They cut fast and clean.   Plane and sand the bottom of your blank before you cut the outline.  Gives you a flat surface.  Use and hold the saw as vertical as possible.  With experience this is not as critical.  Cut just outside the line and true it up with a hard block and sandpaper.

These things happen!

I’ve ridden a few boards in this range, I think In bigger beach break conditions the width can be a problem, especially when paired with a full boxy rail.

Let’s see your outline, perhaps you will need too make it a bigger wave board