Quarantine and a old half finnished board

Hi All,

I have got all this free time on my hands and was looking for a project to do. I started a board about four years ago, got about as far as shaping and one layer of glass. After that life got in the way (moved to Europe) and it has been sitting ever since. When I attempted to glass the board I failed miserably, all kinds of bubbles and defects. So what I’m asking is, do you think I can sand the board down and make something out of this. What would you recommend at this point? I live in the UK any thoughts on places to buy supplies, I’m thinking about using sun cure this time to make glassing easier.

I see you have compressor there.   Get yourself a die grinder and some Rolok disks.  Grind all that stuff as flat as you can get it without hitting foam and glass it.  There was a thread about a month ago on this same topic.  You might go back a few pages and find that.   The guy was in the same situation.  I posted some pics of one I saved for a customer who bought his blank and materials from me.  Screwed it up and then brought it back to me to fix.  It was much worse than yours. He said it surfs fine.

check out Seabase.uk

Well, I sanded down the rails on the bottom on one side. Does this need to perfectly smooth before the next layer? I’m thinking of not using any more glass on the bottom and just doing a hot coat. You can see in the bottom pic I have a small hole. What is the best way to patch this, like a ding, or would it be better to leave it and just glass over? The top is going to be a whole different ballgame. I’m thinking patch the bad spots then a 4 oz layer of glass. I know it will not be perfect but I might learn something along the way.

Your thinking is right.  Just a small 4oz.patch wherever you see damage that appears to be thru the cloth.  If the rest of the original is okay and you think it is smooth enough;  go ahead and hot coat.  A sure way to make everything come out better is to add another layer of 4oz to both sides and then hot coat.  The only weight difference is going to be the extra layer on the bottom.  The bottom would be 8oz instead of a typical 6oz or 4oz bottom.  Using 4oz the deck would be 8oz.  A 6&4 is pretty typical.  That equals 10oz.   So your net gain in cloth would be 2oz.  Pretty negligible.  Of course this is just a net gain in cloth.  Does not take into consideration yardage and resin saturation.  It will be a better “end product” in my opinion if done that way.