Miscut longboard blank - bottom contours

Hello everyone

I’ve had a miscut blank lying around for ages, and have decided to make it into something now i’ve got plenty of time on my hands. Only issue is there is a large channel cut into the centre of the blank, about 6 inches wide. It runs from the middle of the board back to the tail, gettting deeper and deeper until it’s about 1/5 inch deep right at the tail.

Any suggestions for some creative bottom contours? I know vee is common in longboard tails but I think the rails will just be too thin…

Blank is 9’0 x 22 3/4 x 2 3/4, i’d like to shape it into a single fin general log mainly for use by my girlfriend.

Fairly new to this (second board), so any help welcomed.

Cheers

The first question I’d ask is what the nose and tail rocker is out at the rail, and how deep the channel is at the tail block.    

Hi

Depth at tail is about 4mm. It seems to deepen to this point at a consistent rate from the middle of the board, where the bottom is currently flat. 

Everyone seems to measure rocker a different way and I don’t have the measurements it was cut to :confused:

Shape it.  Vandevoort(sp) used to shape longboards with a single channel in them on Maui.  I think Chris Slick used to do them as well.

1. Shape around it and afterwards fill it in with scrap foam bit by bit, or do something aesthetically creative by filling it with balsa wood or something.  When I screw up and take chunks out of foam, I fill it with lightweight spackling compound.

2. Maybe it’s time to try a channel.