Retro Fish Ready for glass

I’ve posted a few questions reaching out for help with fins and resin bleeding so figured I would post up some pics of the board. It’s a 6’2" Lis inspired fish with a slight concave in the first 2 feet or so before transitioning completely flat. 

I spent the day shaping the rails, tail and sanding. Rails turned out best I have done so far (my 3rd surfboard), but I did screw up when sanding the bottom. I didn’t think about how often I was hitting the edges and I took some fo the concave out. At most now it has about 1/8th an inch of concave in the nose and not for very long. Lesson learned there. Did some researching here to find more on original shape and it seems most agree that even a completely flat fish will still do fine, although most seemed to agree some concave to flat is best. I’m debating trying to sand some back in, but am afraid to make things worse and uneven and leave well enough alone.

Anyway! Here she is… waiting on the fins to arrive and some more tint before I laminate her. Plan to do some research on fin placement for the next few days while waiting. 

Cheers

Looking great! Do not care for the concave, it may turn out, that it surf better than intended. I’m still a poor surfer, build about 10 boards and I’m convinced, that for me, the outline and the volume distribution has much more effect, than a bottom contour of 1/16 of an inch. A flat bottom rides too, and for your fish even a slight belly in the front would have been an option. And all self build boards give a feel, that no bought one can give back!

Finish it and ride it! And if you are really interested in (I doubt it will be necessary), duplicate the board and build the wanted concave; and see if there is a noticable riding difference!

If you are even more in wooden boards, Huck set up a new forum and we would love to see a build report there, making this forum as a unique source of interest for wood board builders.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/surfersover50/messages

Great job.  You did something with regard to that stain that even most pros would turn down or talk you out of.  Because it is your board, the risk was yours.  Nicely done.

Surfdude - agree about the concave. There is still something there, just not as much as originally intended; however, who knows. It could surf way better than what was intended. Although this is only my 3rd surfboard build I have already learned some great new tricks when being forced to fix a mistake. A carpenter once told me, “A great carpentar isn’t one that doesn’t make mistakes, but one that knows how to cover them up”. That idea has changed my entrie outlook. 

I had no idea there was a wooden forum! Awesome thanks for sharing! I will head over and sign up… already found one post talking about CAD and that is my next venture. Learning how to work CAD better

McDing - Thanks for the compliments… I wish that was my talent, but it is actually two different woods on the top panel to get that look. I stumbled across that wood by accident and had to incorporate it somehow, but it isn’t light so I opted for that. I’ll post pictures when laminated and gloss coated. It has tons of depth and color to it. Beautiful stuff.