Dimensions for belly to vee.

What is thr general rule of thumb for measuring belly in a longboard? What is the typical dimensions of a belly measuring rail to a level?

i have been measuring some of my longboards. They range from 1/4" to 3/4". 

Thank you. 

I don’t know that I have ever measured mine.  But I have used a level to determine if both half’s of the belly are equal.  Just remember that this is NOT “V”!  It needs to be subtle and spread evenly over the desired area of the bottom where it will serve its intended purpose.  When I say spread evenly;  I mean across the width of the board and lengthwise.  Depends also on where you are measuring from at the rail.  Apex, bottom edge, square vertical etc.  At vertical;  1/4–1/2" sounds reasonable.  But I would think that it could be as little as 1/8".  I put Belly or Roll between the waist and the chest or shoulders lengthwise.  Based on where a surfer would prone paddle.  It could possibly be carried back as far as the thighs.  'This area of the board is also where I maintain my maximum thickness .   Doing these two things makes for a better paddling board that cuts thru the water and catches waves easily. Rereading your post I am not sure which you are talking about.  V is generally in the tail and more pronounced depending on the shaper.  My longboards are subtle V in the tail beginning in front of the fin and running thru the box.   Non of my longboards with Tail V would get anywhere near 3/4" no matter where you measured from.    Lowel

i am a shortboard rider (but years after years they became flatter, wider and thicker)…Many friends i build boards turn to  mid length and longboards they ask more and more fat, so i build many those last years for experienced surfer in all kind of waves of south west french coast. I started with deep spoon concave front turn flat then belly (like McDing) then Vee double concave that finish with just Vee. It take time to shape this right on LB bottom with surform and sandpaper… More i made more my bottom shapes were subtil… Last boards, they all find them better, have less rocker front and middle but keep lift tail and flat bottom from nose to tail with edgy rails à la Greg Griffin, so for me you can stay subtil with your Vee and Belly, 1/8 to 1/4 max. Find same thing with short boards, i shape them flatter and they seem to be better with less bottom shape…

Thank you for the clarification McDing and Lemat. 

I have been analyzing a few of my longboards. Planning on using their dimensions to transfer onto a few longboards that I am building. 

Sorry for the confusion McDing. To clarify most of my longboards bottoms are divided into 1/3s. These are boards made by professionals not by me, the backyard shaper. Nose concave, belly or flat and vee in tail. I have measured these areas with a level and square and came up with  concave 3/8", belly 1/4-3/4" and vee 1/8-1/4". 

I am trying to replicate the “sweet spots” which make me think they work for me.

If only that would work w my wife. 

Haha!  Women!  Yes I also break mine up into 1/3’s.  Although I extend the center 1/3 a bit.  Study the transition from each panel.  Very important that as lemat says the Nose Concave into the Belly Into the V.  You need a nice transition from one to the other.   Study that part of it on the existing boards you have.

Thank you for the tips!  I worked on it this afternoon and will begin another longboard tomorrow. 

Plan on shaping a few boards since can’t kick off resin in 40 degrees. 

Still working on the heated garage. 

Think of belly as a single speed beach cruiser. A board with flat/concave is an 18 gear mtn bike. Personally, I prefer to have all the gears available. If you really want belly, keep the center portion flat, and only put some belly for about 5-6 inches from the rail. This can also be blended into flat panel vee through the fins. This gives a good compromise between a log and something will get up and go.

Long time ago, 80’s, a famous shaper said that a flat spot under the front foot is your accelerator.

That’s interesting. I never thought of making the belly flat. Especially the longboards I am building are 23-25" wide. 

I will give it a shot on the next longboard.