old windsurf board turns into a fun little thing. But how to glass it!?

hey all,

I skinned an old windsurf board I had laying around and shaped a fat little thing out of it.

I am happy with the result so far.

My concern now is that the PU “pores” are very open. I remember when I was pulling off the cloth, it had these tiny little resin balls attached, each of them leaving small crater like holes behind.

I am afraid of resin getting sucked into those holes and ending up with a dry lamination.

I thought of seal it like it was EPS, but I do not know if is compatible (spackle) with poliester resin.

or mixing some cab o sil and sealing before lam like it was a wooden surfboard.

or I just go for it like normal using a bit more of resin just in case…

any thoughts are well apreciatted

hope everyone is doing well in this cazy times

It looks like a nice salvage job, thanks for posting.

Are you using polyester or epoxy resin?

How did you do the black color and the strip over the stringer?

Hopefully some of the more experienced folks will join in.

I made this from an old windsurfing board. The blank was PU, and I left the twin stringers. I cut out all the rigging inserts and used foam from the same board to fill the holes. The board is heavy and thick but it works OK in bigger surf. Don’t have all the dims, but it’s 7’ 9" long. Glassed with epoxy.

Yes lightweight Spackle is compatible and will fill all those holes.  Lighter that a Q-cell or Cabosil slurry.  Make sure you let it dry at least 24 hrs.  Use a plastic squeege.  Screen it and you are good to go.

Hey Jrandy, thanks!

i`m going to be using polyester. 

I hand painted the whole board. Very light and thin. Water based acrylic paint.

The strip in the middle is in between the two stringers. Also hand painted.

I had to cut the board in half to get rid of the center fin box, and added these pieces of foam to make it wider.

Funny: the foam in between the stringers comes from a refrigerator I found in the street. 

I tested it first with the resin and holds just fine.  

A punk rock project.

Sharkcountry, was the foam similar in density to the one I described ? in that case, did you lam just normal with no problem?

I dont know how it was for you, but it has been a once in a lifetime experience for me. Tough work!

Quarentine…

McDing, Thanks! I searched for it in the archives and could not find it anywhere. 

light wheight spackle, then.

The kind you get from the hardware store.  When you pick up a quart, it feels like it’s half empty.