Restauration question

Het all. 

This board with a Clark foam blank and 3/8" single wood stringer has MASSIVE DELAMS. Right where hand knees and feet go. 

My question is whether to detach the whole deck or just glue the delaminations locally? I don’t really know if the other parts of the deck are still well attached to the foam. At least they appear to be if I press down hard with nails and fingers.

If still well attached it would be a waste to strip the entire thing right?

Also, what shaper is it? Anyone know? 

Cheers Wouter 

Hi Wouter-

Do you have a clear picture of the logo on the deck?

That might help with identifying it.

Cheers, J

If you want to go to the effort, here is what I would to;   Looking at your board;  Does the delam extend to and under the paint work?   My thought is that if it doesn’t, leave the paint portion intact.  My normal method on big delams is usually to use a shallow set trim router to cut out the delam.  Use masking tape to tape of the perimeter of the delam you are going to remove.  I think in your case you may be able to cut along the edge of the painted portion and remove the clear fiberglass at the delam.   If you do that you may be able to pry or pop up the painted portion enough to pour or spread resin underneath it and glue it back down.  Use shrink wrap to pull it down tight.  Once you’ve saved the painted portion; eithther reglue the old glass to the deck  or put a new layer of cloth down.  It is important to make sure the deck is flush.  In the past I have used Liteweight spackle to fill shrunken divots and low spots…  make sure it dries good.  At least 24 hrs.  I use Spackle because it is lighter than a Q-cell slurry.  if you are putting down new glass and not reglueing the piece that was cut out, it may take a few layers to build it up flush to the painted portion.  If you can’t save the painted portion; you will have to cut out a larger area and repaint.  Not a very well written description of what I do, but I think you get the idea.  Use a trim router if you have one, but I have also cut them out with a Stanley knife.  Put a layer of cloth over the top of the whole thing, rail to rail.