New (?) artwork technique.

Just finished glossing this one. I have used a technique I am familiar with when painting on canvas with acrylics but I had never tried it on a board. I like the first result and of course it can be ameliorated using different colors.

Actually the rear part of the board had been glassed with swirls but I was not too happy with the result and there were some colored resin drops that had made their way on the front part that was supposed to be left in the white. After hot-coating and sanding I decided to try and “save” those mistakes, using the afore mentionned technique. I.E.: mix some blue acrylic with a bit of water, let drops fall on the board randomly. Then pick up a water sprayer in one hand and your air blower gun in the other and go at it: add some water on one of the spots, spray air. Variations in water and air quantities and intensity will produce those random colored shapes; Like it? Very useful if you want to hide screw-ups, haha. When dry, brush with 3M green pad to soften possible thick spots (but I didn’t have any real ones). Then gloss as usual. First photo is the board in gloss stage, second photo is a paint I made on canvas using that water-and-air-spray technique.

Beautiful! And great save.

I like that.  There are so many paint techniques that can be crossed over onto a surfboard.  What was your thinking?  By that I mean;  what made you decide that was the technique your wanted to try?

just like i said: applying my abstract acrylic painting technique to boards; Next step: try the same directly on foam. I’m a bit concerned about water on foam but I think it will just be a matter of letting it dry enough before glassing. Some paintings I have done:

Very nice.   The French and the Italianos, painting and sculpting is in their DNA.  Building surfboards gives you the medium to do both.  PS on the surfboard;  Okay I got it.  Reread your post.  The art was done on the sanded hotcoat?

Aloha Balsa,

Consider using isopropyl alcohol to mix your paint, instead of water.      The higher evaporation rate of alcohol should speed the process, and reduce your concern about possible water/resin interactions, when you glass the board.

Yes it was.

Thanks for the advice, Bill. No problem mixing acrylic paint with isopropyl alcohol? I guess that if you advise it, you may have done it already?

Looking good! Thanks for sharing Balsa!!

I’ve mixed denatured alcohol and acrylic and  that dried fast. Learned from sk8ment on sways…also mixed water before but like Bill said might take longer to dry.also sprayed paint with a syringe 

Also been doing acrylic pour paintings (thanks you tube) with diluted acrylic and seen some one on Instagram do raw foam of a board but was just for display

Syringe splattered acrylic.rasta man vibrations:)

Very cool. Are you using poly or epoxy resin? 

I have had some issues with putting epoxy over acrylic. Caused a dimpling effect to the resin. 

Another one I recently did, using the same air and water + acrylic paint on sanded hotcoat, then gloss and polish: