BoardCad Hollow Wood Print

Hi everyone,

First sorry for my English and my ignorance regarding the program.

I would like to build a wooden board, for this I have started using the free software boardcad, but I have doubts. How can I change how many ribs hve the board? At the time of printing it always prints 5 ribs … I have added more cross views but still always prints 5 ribs.

Thanks!!

I just downloaded the same program in hoping to develop my first HWS plans as well! I don’t have any insight regarding your questions, but would love to find out with you and learn from this thread. Thanks for posting. Learning the program now so I will let you know if I stumble across the answer.

BoardCAd is a great program, especially for us hobby builders, but the print feature does not work properly; to make a story short, it does not print HWS ribs as designed…

… but there is a very good option. You need the Jedail Hollow Wood Template maker. It a free software to. It runs using Java

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwi96MrFrtPoAhUCyaQKHTIhCNgQFjACegQIAxAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjedail.free.fr%2Fprograms%2FHBTM.jnlp&usg=AOvVaw0L3OO6wExYyPT-iJBM8-fP

If installed properly, you open your biardCAD.brd file into the Template make, give some strength value, Rib and Deck strength in mm and make the templates. They will be saved as pdf, you get outline, profile and/or all in one. Usually it works well and it definitely gives you all the ribs!

Thanks a lot,

I have used the template that you have commented and it is that I needed! thanks!. Generate as many ribs as cross sections you have in your project. But out of curiosity, having boardcad the option to generate HWB print, can you configure the number of ribs? I say this because if not, it seems a bit absurd that it only generates 5 ribs. They seem insufficient to me.

Thank you so much for everything.

You can add cross sections as much as you want, which will turn into ribs with the Jedail program, but the print function in BoardCad does not use the No. of crossections; I think the 5 is done automatically and not changeable.

Thanks! Good information 

Hollow Board Template Maker is great, you can import your BoardCad or Aku Shaper files and get the templates for the ribs, spine etc. You add or take away ribs depending on the spacing you want if I remember correctly, you also input your skin thickness and rails to give you the correct sizing of all the templates. I designed two boards in Aku Shaper for a freind that makes HWS and they came out great.

If you are looking tp build a wooden board you should check out the forum Huck started/restarted. 

http://forums.delphiforums.com/surfersover50

As for the problem you had. The template maker is the way to go, if you can get it to work. Boardcad itself doesn’t generate hws plans well. I’ve always gotten a fixed number of ribs regardless of length. My work around from when my java wouldn’t run the template maker was to use boardcad and print the individual cross sections and profile. The downside is the cross sections only print half, so print them all twice, and it doesn’t have nice little cutouts, guides, and account for skin thickness. You need to draw those in by hand, which isn’t as hard as you think. 

Lastly good luck woth a wooden board! I’ve built almost 9 now.