Re-laminating delaminated deck

Hello,

i have this well loved Byzak nice rider that was delaminated from nose to tail.  I ran a dremel around the cutlap line and stripped the deck.  So as you can see the foam underneath is badly pitted and torn.  Yeah i know i could mix a TON of qcel and resin to flush this out with, but is there a better way? That stuff is super hard, too heavy and prone to cracks. I guess my question is what goes into that mixture they pour into the molds to make blanks?  if i could just pour some of that in there it would sand out really clean im thinking.  how would the experts here flush this deck out?    

Hi-

Normally I use light weight spackle to fill in the foam voids and then sand to level the deck. I will then lay up a layer of 6+4 and vacuum bag and hotcoat/sand. If you don’t have a vacuum set up im sure that you can hand layup as well.

Thanks, which brand/make spackle do you like?

I go with Ace Hardware’s liteweight spackle. The Home Depot stuff (DAP) seems to not sand as well.

Good advice from diamond.  That’s the way I do them.  Ace Spackle is good, but the color may be off for any clear work.  Spackling EPS or pinholes in a shaped blank.  I have been using Sherwin-Williams.  Light weight, sands good and the color is a closer match to Poly foam.   Stay away from Dap.  They added Acrylic to it.  The acrylic balls up when you sand it.  Make sure the Spackle dries at least 24 hrs.  I usually try to reglue the old glass back in place.  Fill any cracks around the cut out with Q-cell and then cover it with 4oz.  Sometimes putting the old piece back in isn’t an option and you have to build up the delam area with a couple of layers of new cloth to get it flush.  If you opaque the new cloth it will hide the divots and Spackle.  I would shoot for glueing the old piece back on the deck.  You may need a pinline around the cutlap.

Thanks!   Alternatively I was eyeballing the deck with a straightedge.  It’s slightly domed just enough to where I could skim .5" or so foam off the deck and get it pretty flush that way.  Hmm lots of options.  

This is an RA that I will be tearing into soon.  I’ll try to document it.  The cut was sloppy, but it will go back together.  Once I get it straightened out I will repaint the panel and glass over.

It’s got a lot of problems.  More a “Restoration Hardware” project than a repair.

For whatever reason though; people like these boards and are worth a few hundred $$ if they are in decent shape.

Must be sentimental… youre going to need a lot of spackel keep us posted!  

so I have a McCallum board I was eyeballing with a flat deck that’s pretty cool looking.  This one has about 1/4" dome to it I’m gonna try to get flush with the offset stringers.  I made this router sled that will travel along the offset stringers and get it pretty flat.  I could even go slightly concave for the deck, I have a rusty fish as well with a concave deck.  Wish me luck!