Just shaped my first surfboard.

I have always wanted to shape a surfboard, and since Covid-19 pretty much retired me for the foreseeable  future as a filmmaker I figured now was a good time to do just that.

i was checking the forum so much during the process and decided to join as i am pretty sure i will be making more boards in the future.

Honestly I wanted to bring something beautiful into the world that is dominated with a lot of negative energy right now and share a positive message with you all. I really hope you like sharing this small journey with me and thank you for watching. Would love to hear what you all think…i know i made a bunch if mistakes but somehow stumbled through to a nice finish ;) 

Stay safe out there during the coronavirus pandemic and let’s all share some good vibes and waves in the near future.

Pandemic single fin full video

That’s awesome, thnx for sharing, keeping positive is so important right now. Nice shaping job. Welcome to swaylocks!

Appreciate your feedback, it was so much fun to make this board…now i just need a good point break to let it fly.

That’s positive and I like.  I will be sure to watch your video.  Lowel

Thank you and be sure to let me know what you think of the video if you have a chance :) 

Very cool! Nice editing!

where are you located ? 

Very impressive for your 1st board or your 20th board.  But the big question is “what’s next?”     You’re already planning your next build, right?   

Excellent video , thank you , cheered me up no end .

Thank you for watching, i am currently living in Okinawa 

Thank you very much. Can’t lie, it was more fun then i expected and i am definitely hooked. Hard to get materials to Okinawa but i do see myself making a fish possibly next.

Thank you and thanks for watching. So stoked you enjoyed it 

Really enjoyed that video mate! Board looks awesome… really like that you went single fin with it. Love the simplistic look of a single fin or twin on a fish. Kudos for glassing on and shaping the fin yourself. Think the board turned out cooler with your fix of the paint… funny how the screw ups can lead to something better than originally planned. I did find myself chuckling at you having to scrape all that off… was just thinking to myself how mad that would make me. HA!

That surfing was in Okinawa??? I would have never guessed that. Some beautiful footage of the ocean…

Haha thanks for watching and letting me know your thoughts…The paint was such an issue from the start…I had intended to go clear but messed up the laps and looked ugly so went for the paint option. With absolutely no idea about painting that first coat was straight acrylic no water or thinner etc…but stripping it with a piece of offcut wood was all it took to make me do some actual study and learn about acrylic washes…very glad i made that mistake in the end.

Yeah right on man… Turned out great as well! A guy here recently posted up his artwork with acrylics and water - amazing stuff and so many different techniques when it comes to art. Thats the beauty of this all. Everyone putting their artistic twist on how they percieve beauty. 

Looking forward to the next video!

Very nice video.

Good first board.  Mine was a mess.

Thanks for the contribution and entertainment.

Thanks for watching, stoked you liked it…what did you shape for your first board?

Built my first board 1969-1971.  It was a time of transition and near monthly changes in surfboard design.

I made my own design with the idea it would compensate for my surfing weaknesses at age 16 – 21" x  7’6", longboard style wide nose (with belly), widepoint forward, rounded tail and a single fin.  Added blue tint after lamination, blotchy color. And I rode it before I added the final coat… Eventually reshaped it.

That’s epic…how did you reshape it? hack and re glass?