Finished Fish

Here she is! Really wanted to make a retro style fish and try tinting for the first time. Really happy with her and although hit a few frustrations with the tinting process really happy I did it. I learned a lot through the process and feel that I got a little better at glassing due to it. Also first time to do the glass leash loop and so happy I did as I like it so much more than drilling a hole into my wooden deck. Really like how it turned out in spite of the mistake enroute

Board is hollow built with Paulownia and rainbow poplar. Fins are from Marlin with 101 fin co glassed on at 0 toe in and 4 degree cant. 

Unfortunately it’ll be a while until I can try her out, but can’t wait to do so. Until then I bought a few books on shaping (the gift by andreini and another by surfing essentials) and plan to pick up a planer and blank and attempt my first shaping experience. Hopefully drawing from the history and following the hull idea like Greenough, Andreini and KP etc… 

Thanks to all who really helped with my questions on fins and color etc… posted up here. Great community and appreciate the free sharing of knowledge

Cheers mates!

Very cool! & artistic

Looks like a fun ride. I miss the days when I could ride shorter boards!

Real good looking board. The tint is prefect in my opinion. Did you use a home made tint or did you go for a proper pigment? Epoxy or poly? I’d love to know your ratios for that tint too. 

Last question, what materials did you use for the deck? 

Thanks for posting, great inspiration.

Thanks for the compliments on her.

Fletcher - it is epoxy - typical lam, hot and filler coat followed with a 2 part varnish (interlux perfection plus). The board is all paulownia except for that nose section which is rainbow poplar.

Tinting was a homemade color using resin obsession transperant dyes. My ratio was:

1. 440g of Part A
  2. 45ml of red
  3. 3.4ml of blue
  4. 7 drops of black
  5. Mixed it all and then added the PART B

Like some of my post before it was a little lighter than I was hoping for (was looking for a more maroon color - think a bit more black would have got it there), but it did deepen with the hot and filer coat and turned out much closer to what I was going for so ended up really happy with the color. 

That was my first time tinting so I have only used that brand of tints, but am really happy with their product. It turned out very transperant which is what I wanted. You can still see all the grain of the wood and my signature is extremely clear. Attached a close up showing how clear the tint was and how well the grain still shows through. I also like it as it looks like a tint and not a stain on the wood. You can tell the coloring is on top of the wood and not in the wood. Guess it just depends on what you are going for.