Bob Cooper RIP

Was over on Dennis Ryder’s “Notes from the shaping bay.” blog.  Reading some good stuff and he mentioned that Coop had passed in February.

10/5/1937—2/17/20  Those “Blue Machines” were pretty nice.

The video at the link is wonderful.

https://beachgrit.com/2020/02/rip-surf-legend-bob-cooper-famous-in-surfing-for-being-famous-for-having-been-around-a-long-time-for-having-a-beard-dead-at-82/

RIP: SURF LEGEND BOB COOPER“FAMOUS IN SURFING FOR BEING FAMOUS; FOR HAVING BEEN AROUND A LONG TIME;FOR HAVING A BEARD” DEAD AT 82!

Thanks Doc.  I was around the Morey-Pope shop on Front St. Ventura during Coopers tenure.  Just a hanger on,  but great times and a story or two.  The Ventura Surf Shop has a history up on their page that is interesting.  Dennis Ryder’s comments on his blog are always a good read.  When I was on Kauai in 93, a guy that went by the name of “Bingo” had a shop on the edge of Lihue.  He was originally from Texas.  He went home once and came back to Kauai with a “Blue Machine” he picked up at a garage sale.  It was pristine.  Man I was so envious.  What’s a guy from Texas doing with a Blue Machine?