Twin or quad on a fishy proyect

Hi everyone, I’m new here, at least posting.

I’m currently working on a fish, which was thought as a classic twin fin. But a friend of mine put a thought in my head. Do it quad. I do not plan to fix the fins, but I’m not sure how it would work with the quads. 

Some info to get you an idea of it’s future use.

I get to surf almost every condition here, from knee size to double over head easily. Hollow fast and fat slow(notsoslow) waves. I want to try this board in all of this waves. 

The sape is some generic fish template from the internet with some personal touch. It has a double concave just in between my feet with a vee on the swallow tail. Its a 5’7"*19 1/2"*2 5/8.

So I was thinking to put the fin boxes somewhere close to the 10" from the tip, using MR fins or just regular tri fin side fins ( it’s what I have at the moment). And I wanted to add a fin box for a stabiliser for the big days. But then a friend said that maybe I should put the quad option, something like the seaaide. And now I’m stuck. What do you think would be better?

Thanks people I’ll be reading your comments, and wish you good waves (if you are allowed to surf at your place)

Desastre 

If you position the fins right;  you can do both and ride it as either.  In my opinion Twins are a little limited in in larger, steep, hollow waves.  Whereas a Quad really kicks in on waves that are fast and hollow.  Set it up to do both.

In my opinion, if you want to surf a wide-tailed fishie on your backside at all then just skip the twin and go straight to a tightly clustered quad setup.  You can loosen it up when you need to by running a smaller rear fin.    You can run a small keel or your MR twin behind a canard in slow/mushy conditions.   Or a Speedialer (split keel).    

Running a high aspect fin like an MR twin by itself in a wide tailed board will make for lots of pivot, but not enough control when surfing backside. 

That would be the best. Do you think I can do thst by plcing the front fins 9 1/2" from the tail? Thanks for commenting!

I don’t think I can recommend fin positioning without actually being there and using a shapers square to lay it out for you.  Put your brain behind it and give it some thought.  I would start by laying it out as a quad, based on McKee or any other internet info you can come up with.  Then I would find some numbers for a Twin and see if I can reasonably compromise my numbers to make it work.

twin with fin back at 6.5 to 7 from tail, far more hold than 9 to 10 standard. Twinzer, small canard fin, is a good improvement for keep twin feeling in bigger surf.

Wow that turned out nice! Post up some finished pics with the fins. Just so I can get closure, haha.

Thanks a lot! I will give it some thought and do some marks and check it out a couple of times, and some more research. But I think I’m going for this option! Have a nice one McDing!

Hi there! I actually don’t ride backside waves at all here, but I was thinking more about more bite from the fins on big waves (I think the term is hold in english?) That was my idea for the quad fins. Good waves! 

This also sounds very interesting, but then I will have to mje those smaller fins, as is very hard to get them here in Chile. I have some 3 1/2" x 3 5/8" quad fins that I was thinking of using with either normal truster fins or the MR (that I WANT to have, also don’t have them, but could get them). And I’ve never done fins. But still sounds like something to dig about more. Thanks!

I will!

Be sure to take into consideration the tips of the Fish Tail and the “butt crack” when positioning your fins.  I usually use the tips as my starting or reference point.  Once you have established a likely fin position study it carefully in its relationship to the “crack”.  Studying it visually based on the tips and crack may prompt you to make some adjustment.  But then again;  maybe not.  The measurements may make total sense and the visual may look right on.  Think about it.  Lowel

I will!

So it’s finally done, polished and ready to be tested tomorrow!! 

I went almost exactly with the Mckee numbers, bit went a bit forward with the front fins, so when it’s twin I can place big keels or something similar, and for the quad I want to get the MR, but for tomorrow in going quad with my regular side fins of my other boards, plus the small quad fins I have. That’s what I’ve got at the moment. So tomorrow is test day! 

Here are a couple of.pictures. thanks everyone for your advice!.

I have made and ridden a few fishes over the years. Five twins and four quads. Looks to me like you’ve nailed that quad set-up. The quad tends to go in a wider range of waves than the twin. Twins are best on small, clean and fast sand bottom point style waves. Forehand is best. You should be able to ride it as a twin with that set-up. 

With the quad set-up you can mess around with various fins till you get something you like. I actually ride four standard sized fins, all canted 6’. This works out for me. Don’t take my word for it though, get out there and start experimenting. A whole new world of fun awaits!

Cool board.  I like the swirl.

You know it’s good when the imagination immediately starts seeing pictures in the swirls.

Fins look to be in good position to me.  Always best to study up a bit the first time you shape a particular design. I was always inclined to put my fins out on the rails and use a trailer if necessary.  But I have come around to the McKee set up with some minor adjustments.  Crazy art.  The “Botherhood of Eternal Love” would be trippin’.

McDing, you have touched on what has become my gripe with 5 fins and quads.  Greg Griffin has talked about this before too.

It is darn hard to get quad fins placed so that the board can run well as a twin. And visa versa.  (Latin for it don’t work the other way either) There is just too much compromise. As Lemat says, set the fins as a twin then maybe add range with a pair of twinzer fins.  But I say build a twin or build a quad.  

Do it right.  Don’t make me come over there.

all the best

Thanks McDing! McKee set up was quite an interesting thing to learn definitely! Now I have to keep studying.

Hey spuddups! Thanks for your comments! It definitely worked as a twin although I have just regular truster fins. For the quad, it felt a bit stiff, but it was jus hip-shoulder hug waves, and I added them for over head waves, so I’m still guessing how it came out in that aspect. Can’t wait to try it on big surf! Good waves!