Thrailkill Pig 8-0

There is a lot more story behind this shape than I am able to convey.  So I will just stick with what I know, and hope that Bill will chime in for the rest.  This particular version of the Pig has some interesting history.  Bill has tweaked it through the years and has made it a classic.

Probably over  20 years ago by now, Greg Loehr built a mid size board for me.  I didn’t realize it at the time but it was a Pig.  An 8-0.  I loved that board and rode the snot out of it until a friend snapped it for me.  I put it back together and ended up selling it to a guy who rode it and would not willingly give it back.  Years later I tried to find him to copy the outline and rocker, but couldn’t.

I tried several times to build another and failed every time on the outline.  Recently I decided to try again and contacted Bill for some help.  Of course he agreed, because that’s Bill.

Bill gave me very explicit instructions on the outline, rocker and rail transition.  I managed pretty well to follow these, only having to yank it out of the fire once when I decided to adjust the foil after having turned the rails.  Rookie mistake.  The nose rails were all out of whack.  I saved it though and it hardly shows (to anyone else but me).

Just to make things interesting I decided to glass it with volan and throw in some resin panels.  That was almost my downfall.  I’m pretty good with cut laps but this was a challenge.  And my wife, bless her heart, thought the resin panels looked like cheap stick on plastic.  OK, then.  Just stop hurting my feelings. Ha.

One more thing to mention.  Bill specified nose rocker at 3.5 and tail at 4 inches.  I had already bought the blank, and realized I couldn’t get that rocker out of it the conventional way.  So, remembering Bill’s advice from a while back, I flipped it around nose becoming the tail,  and found a great fit.

It has the " Compound" store brand logo on it because it was originally intend for them.  But I couldn’t part with it, so JS was kind enough to let me keep it.  I haven’t had it in the water yet, but I can tell I’m going to love it (as soon as our beaches open again).

Like the classic fish and classic longboard, I believe this is a true classic shape and it should be preserved and passed down to others. It gives a very distinctive and fun feeling in beach break.

What the heck?  I posted small format pictures and expect them to display correctly.  Huck forgive me.  And can you fix?

all the best

While others claim;  Let us not forget where the credit is due.  Dale Velzy is and was the true originator of the “Pig”.  Fact vs. Fiction and Truth to Power.  He was and remains “The Man”.

I don’t know what happened with the pics, but try posting them in a new post, only larger.  As long as they’re in the KB range, they should be fine.  Like up to 900 KB, but you have them so tiny like 16 KB. Anyway, if you post them larger I will correct them if they need it. Board looks beautiful.

McD, no one is claiming anything.  Opening line:   “…in this particular version…”

Not saying you claimed anything.  But others do.  So I guess we could say;  Your take on Thrilkills version of a Velzy Pig?

Sort of like the Lis Fish.  There have been some important enhancements and evolution to the design.  Lots of shapers build them on a regular basis.  Pieter in Australia comes to mind.

You did a good job.  Nice ride.  What’s always funny about sideways pics is that no matter which way I turn this IPad, the pics revert to sideways.  Lol.

Thanks McD.  Bill and I talked almost every week.  Could not have done it without him. He sent me a full size template.  I was building two other boards at the same time, both of which came out near perfect.  But this one vexed me.  I want to do more volan, now that I have sort of figured it out.

Failed attempt to post pics properly shown.

This Pig template was given to me in late September 1958, by Wayne Land.      In 1958 Wayne Land, Pat Curren, and Alan Nelson, (all WindanSea regulars) were among the very top surfboard shapers, and big wave surfers in the sport.     I surfed with these guys, at WindanSea, on a regular basis.  All three had what I call ‘‘walk on privilages’’ @ Velzy&Jacobs.       This Pig template was the 1957 Velzy&Jacobs Pig, and the 1958 Burland Pig, and Burland Double Ender templates.      Burland Surfboards, was Wayne’s company in 1958.      Wayne closed the shop to go to the North Shore that winter, so he gave me the template.     I made surfboards for the next two years using that template.      The smallest surfboard I made with that template, was 7’ 11’’ x 20’', in 1959.      I rode that board for about six months at WindanSea.      When Wayne gave me the template, he also gave me detailed instructions on how to shape a proper Pig.      Remember, at this time Wayne had several years of shaping boards for Velzy&Jacobs under his belt, so he knew what he was talking about.      Those were the same instructions that I passed on to Greg.      So Greg got first hand oral history, pretty much from the source.      I’m quite sure Velzy gave Wayne a tutorial on how his boards were to be shaped.       And that is what Wayne passed on to me.       How the first Pig was created, is another interesting story, for another time perhaps. 

Volan just doesn’t want to stay put on the lap.  The soaked lap droops from its own weight.  When I am concerned about fat laps drooping, I flip the the blank with wax paper.  Make sure everything is wet and squeeged onto the tape and paper at my lap.  Then flip it back and let it set.  Even having done that you have to watch the lap until set.  It’s tricky and a matter of timing, but UV can be used.  It’s always before the resin has set that the lap pulls away.  It’s just that Volan soaks more resin and is heavier when resin soaked, so gravity takes over.  With UV you can wet everything out, tuck it all and then take it outside and flash it.  Done correctly the lap will still zip cut.  Then take it back out and set it hard.

Awesome job there, Greg.  Thanks to Bill for sharing so generously.

Whatcha doing for the fin?

Edit to ask (just out of curiosity): how was the one GL made finned?

Newschool, the GL pig was finned as a thruster.  Lots of rocker in the tail.  I thought it was ugly at the time and was a little put off by it when he handed it to me.  But it turned out to be a gem.

Bill, I would love it if you would provide the history of the accidental discovery of the Pig.  Its a great story.

all the best

Hey Greg,

That’s cool.  Thanks for the reply.  Looks like we should have a little swell on the way soon.  

Stay safe,

Andrew.

NSB, yep.  The Gulf will be turning on. Caribbean blue water, no wind.  Should be fun.  A good day for the Pig.

all the best

Hi all,

Curious about the generous tail rocker for a pig. Is it to lift the tail more given that there’s plenty of foam in the back half? Any thoughts appreciated.

Looks like a great board Greg, kudos!

Cheers.