Advice for my pre installed leash plug

Hi all,

Finishing up my first board, and like many I’ve made some mistakes, but had a lot of fun on the way. This place is an absolute wealth of information and without it I would be screwed.

I couldn’t find anyone with the same issue with me in the archives, as I imagine it’s completely the wrong way to do it, but perhaps someone can help me out. 

Before glassing, I installed my leash plug and after miraculously routing it out through an opaque hot coat it now lies a mm or two below the surface of the deck. I was thinking of sanding the edges down to create a slope before taping up and doing gloss coat - but really looking for any guidance.

Thanks!

I suggest pouring sanding resin into the depression and then sanding it flat with a die grinder or sander.  To prevent resin from pouring into the leash plug; pack it with Flour.  Yes Flour.  Common old school trick that we used to use to protect inserts, plugs etc from filling with resin when glassing Sailboards.  You could also pack the plug with “Modeling Clay” and dig it out afterwards.  Just a little resin in a Dixie cup poured into the depression.  Pour enough in the depression to form a slightly raised bump.  Then sand it flat and dig out the bar area of the plug.  You might consider a piece of 4 oz. over the plug to be sure it’s watertight and held together well.  Do the above carefully and you will never know there had been an issue.

Thanks for the tip, I’ve done as you said and looks to be working well!

Ok glad it worked out.  I do a fair amount of Futures leash plugs (which are also install before lamination) and I have found my best bet is to always set them as perfectly flush to the shaped foam as possible.  Even if the hole is routed too deep.  Just put resin and Cabosil in the bottom of the hole to bring it up flush.  Every time I do one and set it just a hair below surface, there are issues to deal with(air bubbles etc.)

Hello; the problem is that you did a deeper hole. If you have that problem again, you cut an small circle of PU. Put it with resin inside the hole then proceed with the plug.

You do not need to do any hole after the glassing; is just sanding and the plugs will show.