I messed up my resin mix

Yeah I messed up. Too much catalyst meant the resin kicked too quick and was difficult to spread.

I managed to mix up some more and get the bottom lamination done, but it’s pretty uneven and there are many patches of excess resin. What’s the best thing to do - sand these down by hand, or use a grinder before I hotcoat?

Thanks in advance…

Oh, and I did a tint so it looks super blotchy… but I can live with that.

Pictures?  You may have to wait until after the hotcoat to gtind.

Hi mate

Photos attached, it’s pretty hideous…

I would hotcoat(fill coat) the whole thing with Sanding Resin(laminating resin with surface agent) and then sand. If you sand it now, it will gum up your paper or disk really bad.  Since it is a tint, it will also make the tint even more blotchy.  Sanding sticky resin creates heat due to the friction.  On a clear board sanding those kind of globs would cause Yellow/brown spots wherever you sanded.  On a tint it will discolor the tint, making it even more spotty.  At least it looks like your not sanding a bunch of of wavey gravey dry laps.  I think if you hotcoat and then sand, it will clean up pretty well.  If you burn thru the cloth when sanding, just spot patch it with a piece of 4oz.  You should be able to tint the resin to match.  Yellow is easy.  I think if you do the above, you’ll be impressed with the results.  It’s really not that bad.  Lowel

Thank you! So just hot coat as normal, or hot coat - sand, then hot coat again?

There are definitely some wavey gravy laps, but they are on the other side (i’ve only done the bottom lam so far).

Cheers

Hotcoat and sand.  Then evaluate it.  You may need to repair some burn thrus.  A second hot coat may be a good idea if you think it needs it.  Take a hard look at it after sanding.

For sure hot coat it because you have enough sanding to warrant it. I would imagine you are going to burn all the way through glass in spots when you get it flat. wrap it with another layer of 4 and tint your resin more thean the previous lam. You could even go full opaque and hide your misery!