Looking for a confirmation on my repair idea for a buckled board

A buddy of mine bought a board for his daughter that got buckled in some shore break. I haven’t got my hands on it yet but he says the stringer is not damaged and the crack does not go across the whole width on the bottom. 

my plan is to cut out about an inch or less on both sides of the crack, and sand down about 4 inches past that on the old glass job. I’ll repair any foam damage if needed. I’ll then lay glass to fit exactly what I cut out and put an extra layer that overlaps onto what I’ve sanded down. Hot coat and feather everything together. 

I feel like it’s a good plan, but I’ve never repaired a buckle, because I feel like it’s generally not worth it. But since this is right in the nose and it’s a board his daughter loves and is learning to surf on, I figured this one was worth it. 

looking for advice on what I need to do differently. Thanks.

So that would be one piece of glass in the cut out with one piece over it?   Not enough cloth.  One more layer 4 or 5 inches wider than the two you are talking about.  I’ve got one I need to do that did not crunch the foam or the stringer and the glass is not frayed.  Most likely I will not cut the glass out.  I will just sand it back about 6 or 8 inches on either side, then multi layer three pieces of cloth each two inches wider than the one below.

Sorry I forgot to say I plan on matching the original layup on the exposed foam. I’m pretty sure it’s one layer of 4 and 1 of 6 and the. I would use an additional layer of 4 on top to overlap the old glass. 

would you do additional layers overlapping the old glass?

What McDing said. Sand, don’t cut, carefully sand flush what sticks up, carefully fill what has gone down and sand that flush, then use cloth over in several  wider and wider layers so you don’t get an abrupt transition in the glass strength. And you’re done, the board is nice and strong and if you do a good job, the repair looks good.Don’t worry about more than one layer, it doesn’t weigh much and if you go a few inches bigger on every layer, it’s nice and smooth. 

For some reason everybody wants to cut out glass, get down to foam. Or worse still, cut out foam. A few things about that. My little rant - 

First, you are not taking out just glass. You wind up removing the foam that is stuck to the underside of the glass, usually a good deal thicker than the original lamination, plus there’s always chunks. Just laying in cloth in your cut out to the original lamination schedule won’t be enough to bring it back flush. And those several laminations will make a very hard patch that isn’t tied in to the rest of the board, so it will most definitely flex differently, And break loose. 

So you get cute, lap your filler patches onto the original glass to tie it in a little. Yeah, okay, so you have glass building up at the edges of your cutout ( that you wind up sanding down to nothing and negating any good effects) and you still have a low area over your cutout that you have to fill somehow. See where this is going? Essentially the same thing as the first case, just more sanding. 

So you go a little wild with resin/aerosil mix, fill your divot with that instead of cloth. Yeah, that’s neat, except you have to sand it flush, and lay cloth over it, and you still have that transition from original glass to filler, and the skim coat of filler is relatively brittle. When it cracks under stress, and it will, it will likely compromise the glass you put over it and that will serve as a lovely starting point for the next buckle.

See where ll this goes? . None of it good. And extra work into the bargain. So put the knife away, get out the sandpaper and have at it. 

hope that’s of use

doc…