Velzy built 422

Here is a Jacob’s 422 model. This one was acquired in this condition but had a little white pigment on it still and some red pigment around the Jacob’s label. Board was shaped by Velzy and has no 422 laminate on it. On the top the board has a step deck in the tail. On the bottom you can still see the pencil line (see pic with finger) put on for the concave. Board is 9’8.5"x22"x3". Nose 17.75", 15" tail, 39" step deck, 74" concave runs thru the bottom. Check out the full rails.

Very cool score

Yes you scored.  Good find.  I don’t think I’ve seen an original in years.  Foam isn’t that yellow either.  Most likely Walker Foam.  Hap Jacobs got credit for it, but the original idea and design was Velzy’s.

Excellent Find. 

Saw some nice change ups on the 422 in the 90’s.  Wide blunt noses with the “bump” moved further back and less exaggerated.outline. Concave in the nose and kicked tails.  Would occasionally see someone on one of these at Rincon and El Capitan late 90’s.  I know Hap basically changed his in the same way, but these were shaped by someone else.  Can’t remember who.  Maybe Becker.

Can you post a close up of the serial number seen on the stringer near the tail?  The way it’s written and the markings indicate who from the Jacobs stable shaped it.  

How did you determine that Velzy shaped it?

Where’s the fin?

No numbers or ID on board. Original fin had already been cut down (modified) and taken off but has since disappeared. That fin had smaller Jacob’s lams, one on each side, it was white in color. I have taken a template off of another 422 (circa 1966) I have owned and surfed for years to replace the missing one. I have been searching for something I found on line that had a picture of Dale and pictures and descriptions of the models he had developed. In the tale of the 422 he talked about the shape (modifications) and how he was letting other surfers try out this board. The details fit this board to a tee including the step deck in the tail. Perhaps I should have put a question mark ( Velzy shaped 422 ?) on the title. The full round rails on this board are different from board I took the fin template from. I been told my other board had possibly been shaped by Takyama, another guess by Bob Moore Jr. who back in those days was shaping for Bing and Noll. As a side note about Bob, Greg Noll’s book The Art of the Surfboard, there is a story about Johnny Fain’s (Fain’s Formula) collaberation in the shaping room to come up with said model. I knew Bob since I was 17 a whole nother story.

All good and interesting.  Thank you.  Love to hear this kind of stuff.  Lowel

I asked Lance about 422 shaping by Velzy.  He said Dale would come to the Jacobs factory, lock himself in the shaping room and knock out a bunch of 422’s.  Sounds like he didn’t shape all of them all but he did shape quite a few of them.  He didn’t recall how Velzy’s shapes were marked.

That being said, are you sure that’s not a number on the stringer?  Not clear, ould be a dark spot in the wood.

The Velzy locked in a shaping room reminds me off a similar story about Dale and I think it was "Natural Progression(?) in the 70’s .  Hired gun.

Let me pull it back out and check. Let you know tomorrow. Thanks.

I think signature or not;  You have most likely got a board that was shaped by Dale.

The first new pic is the number on the stringer, 2625. Good eye Gene. The next pic is the contour of the rail and you can see the fullness of it. The third pic is my other 422  (Blue) in the rack believed to be shaped about 1966. As I wrote before my friend Bob Moore thought it may have been shaped by Donald Takyama, but that was a guess. Bob at that time was shaping for Greg Noll. In 1965 he won the paddle board contest at the U.S. Surfing Championship in Huntington Beach but I digress. The last pic is the rail contour of that board. Thanks for all the in put guys.