futures fin mold

so i found this thread:  https://www.swaylocks.com/forum/40403/yet-another-fin-thread

genius jig by complus…

i don’t know any stores here that sell the pva release or butchers wax so im ordering some pva.  but ive also been brainstorming and maybe someone can tell me if im going in the right direction with this. i’ve read people make molds with the fin plug itself? but i can’t really figure that one out.  i read bert’s comment about a 3 piece jig but he was rightfully reluctant to share.  this is what im thinking: route the hole for the fin plug parallel on the seam of 2 pieces of wood, with 1 solid piece centered under the seam all bolted or clamped together.  then cut the bottom of the plug off and fit it in the bottom piece of wood flush in the hole you just routed through .  cut the remainder (botomless) of the plug in half and fit them into the route (half a fin plug on each piece of wood).    im all set to make the mold with silicone.  but using a box seems like it may be even simpler?

I might do a molded fin if I was planning on doing a lot of them.   Fins are not decorative so materials are a concern.    

If you’re just doing individual sets it would be easier/cheaper to buy pairs of Future twins in their Thermotech material and retemplate them.    $10/fin

hey gdaddy ive got a large awkward hockeystick template that wont fit in any of the twin fin futures carries i dont think.  so i figured a mold JUST for the base wouldnt be too hard and it sounds like a fun job to make the jig.  was thinking just making em from plywood then fitting in the base mold. i imagine it would be harder to foil the cant into the fin as im not very experienced with fins nor sanding.   edit; on second thought i can kind of imagine how to sand the cant into the fin.  just start with a thick blank maybe and measure cant then draw guidelines on the ‘rails’ of the fin then sand to line with the base clamped.  will try without the mold on some cheap ply.

Some guys just add layers of cloth way thicker than needed to build up thickness for the futures canted base, then use sanding block templates to shape and angle the base. I’ve never tried to make futures rail fins. The canted bases have steered me away from their system, though I like it in many other ways, even from a Non production standpoint.

I find that when sanding fin tabs, it is far to easy to go from too tight, too tight, to too loose with just a few sanding strokes.  Now when I start getting close to the right thickness with 120 grit, I switch to  220 grit wet to get it closer then quickly to 400 wet, and test fit after every few swipes.  Pretty important the sanding block is truly flat, not flexible, and the sandpaper is adhered to it, and even with such precautions it is easy to  go too far or have imprecise results and have to add more layers and try again.

Also test fitting itself can actually widen a fin box from repeated insertions and removals of a rough  based fin, so it helps to pass some 400 wet over it just to smooth it out and make the fin base less rough so it can’t chew up the finbox’s sides as much.

I’ve been trying to use my Tablesaw for Probox fin tabs, with both excellent and poor results as my tablesaw’s fence needs so much manipulation to be parallel with the blade and fractions of a MM style precision is required.  I demand a friction fit in the proboxes with the grub screws merely for retainment, not to push the  fin tab down against the opposite side of the fin box.

When I have needed my epoxy to not stick to glass when making a fin panel, I’ve never used any mold releasing compound, designed as such, just using regular car wax, but many layers, lightly buffed in between once fully glazed/dry with subsequent layers applied with almost no pressure once once hazed/dry using minimal pressure to remove.  This can take a while and removing the fin panel still requires forcing some razor blades under the edges of the perimeter, and perhaps some heating and cooling to pop off cleanly. I’ve taken to just pulling ziplock freezer bags flat on the glass/Mirror and taping the edges, as epoxy does not stick to it, but any seams of the bag show up, as do any wrinkles if not pulled tight, or if it is stretched when spreading the epoxy.

Note that removing the fin panel from waxed glass will take the wax with it, andcan later contaminate sandpaper or other surfaces, and lead to fisheyes/orangepeel,  poor adhesion,  curse fests and thrown tools.  So it is wise to not do any of the waxing application or removal in the same area where future final coats will be added, and wiping any fin panels with a solvent before allowing them to touch tables or sandpaper or other tools like jigsaws their blades or powercords.  All can be a future source of contamination, fisheyes and tools launched into low earth orbit.   Much less an issue with PE resin but with epoxy one needs to be more aware of how easy it is to transfer contaminants.

No idea if this Plastic ‘trick’ works with PE resin.  I dont use that anymore.

This is the best approach I’ve seen without the aid of CNC, …

With the wooden fins that I build using CNC, I still need to mold the bases. I use a system similar to the one shown above but with the angled base side cut by CNC and after glassing, molded in a two part mold.

Once you get to making fins it just doesn’t make sense to screw around with the Futures Fin system.   You have to mess around with the cant on each and every side fin you make.   One benefit of the no-cant fin systems is consistency - you’ll never get 4* on one side and 5* on the other.  And another benefit of doing the fins flat is maintaining the integrity of your panel.  A no-cant in the fin panel means you can retain the entire thickness in your panel stock at the tab; and the entire flat side of the fin extends unbroken from the tab to the tip.  You cannot get that with a canted fin unless you’re molding it and there’s no “grain” or layers to it to begin with.    

I agree, I believe they made it that way to discourage shapers from making their own fins and in return they get an “easier to install system” (whether that is true is another discussion).

Some sort of vendor lock-in, but today many fin companies are doing “futures compatible” bases.

Well this is assuming your fin is not thicker than the tab, combined with a flat side this severly limits the choice of decent foil profiles.

When molding fin bases, you need to make sure your fibres are still running the entire depth of the base, the resin is just filler to make it fit.

I’m mostly doing sailboard fins and molding finbases is my preferred way of doing bases, making a good mold ensures no shit afterwards.

One of my molded finbases below (more on my instagram):

1/4" thick tab, 1/2" thick fin, and no exterior glassing on the base.   I did the template with your program.    

Oh I see, is the panel full tab thickness?

Foil is looking great, how do they ride?

wow thanks for that video and the (awesome software btw).  lovely lamination method…  and thanks all others for the wise words.  i totally aggree about the futures not being so friendly for the home builder…appreciate the guys putting out info to help us ‘beat the system’.   i will try the sanding method first with angled blocks.  i have the materials for a base mold should i be so inclined to make more fins later.  now for the ever changing decision of core material…