Mike Williams Kokua

Whatever happened to Mike C Williams Kokua?

I know he had some health issues in the past. 

He was extremely knowledgeable. 

Sadly, Mike passed on, several years ago.       Way too soon, for such a nice guy.

Link: https://www.swaylocks.com/forum/65447/mike-williams-aka-wildog-swaylocks-member-…-kokua

Thank you. 

So sad. Makes your realize you need to cherish life while you are here. 

I’m glad you brought him up. He’s somebody that should not/will not be forgotten, and such a nice and helpful guy too. Kinda makes you appreciate the others here on Swaylocks that have been more then helpful: Thrailkill, McDing, Huck, Artz, Reverb, Resinhead, and all the others I can’t think of right now; thank you.

i miss kokua and the days when he, cleanlines, jim and ambrose used to post here regularly.

I wonder if he’s still smoking up in heaven?

First, it was great to his name in the title.  Whether new to Swaylocks or been hanging around for a while, you know the name.  It also doesn’t take long figure out he was an expert, professional craftfsman, and perfectionist.

When searching the archives for guidance on a topic, I typically skim through looking for certain contributors.  As soon as I see his name,  it’s pretty safe to assume you’ve found more than what you need answered.  

Oddly what I admired / took away from him the most, was his leadership and his people skills.

His screenname Kokua couldn’t have been more fitting.  To help; he sure did, still does, and will continue to for a long time.  More than just surfboards.

Mike is in Heaven riding his Harley.

I also miss Mike and all the old guys. I found some files i had save from the old days. Made me sad. 

oneula, PM’d you about giving a box of stick on finlets to play with. Do you want them?

all the best

I have been on the forum off and on since 2002. 

He had an upbeat atitude  and I use his advice each time I shape and glass a board  

Kokua always answered any questions or refined my techniques and skills. When he answered I always knew I had the right answer.

He obviously made a lasting impression on everyone who knew him whether that was in person or over a computer  

There are many great people on this forum that provide great advice! So thank you all!

Yeah always helping others.  He wouldn’t have left Kauai if it were not for the fact that he thought he was helping his brother.  Leaving Kauai was his biggest regret.  Of course that’s always the biggest regret of anyone who leaves the 808.  Myself included.  You leave The Islands for family, then your family leaves you.   Lowel

Sharkcountry, I had the very same thought. Right before things took a real bad turn for Mike he was coming to visit family here in California. We made plans to go on a St. Patrick’s Day ride. Had a bike lined up for him and we both looked forward to me showing him some spots. Sadly, it didn’t happen. 

Everyone is right about his name Kokua. Not just with surfboards. We lost one of the best.

Yes, it makes me happy people remember him. He was the last word on glassing for me. I’d read his advice and take it. He was patient with beginners through experts, but was still able to bluntly call foolishness, foolishness, in a kind way. 

Hey, Herb!

Mike

I was lucky enough to meet him and talk to him several times when he temporarily relocated to Lake Havasu City Arizona. Super nice guy. 

reading thru these posts  at 3:19 am on fathers day

just as a mental excercise

tried to think of somthin negative to say

on the topic of willdog,

couldn’t dredge up anything

to his credit:

a card carrying

member of the haena guys,

carrying the rank of respectable dog

first of the fish taco trucks 

and mexican food resturants

{californio food resturant}

purveyor of the first interisland  fresh salsa

a verigated life a scroll you could unwind back to east L.A.

cant think of any thing better to elevate

his /my memory of our interaction than to say

happy FATHERS DAY dad…

COMPADRE MIO…

…ambrose…

hey … same to all you other compads

and ,aloha from waipouli 

wear a mask . dont step off prematurely.

I miss his advice and words, as do many others. Thankful for this thread as it has brought out some folks that I haven’t heard from for a looong time. Probably like me, they observe but rarely post…good to know they are still kickin…

always a loss when another elder paddles over

several close ones have done so recently including my dear Cuz

at 12 we drug a Duke K down to the waters edge at Kelly’s

dropped off by Uncle in his new emerald green 62’ El Camino

shivering in cut-off Levi’s, swapping whitewater attempts

clueless that life’s course had just been charted

aging provides a lotta nights to reflect on the journey past

and conclude that blessed are the kooks who continued on

blessed are the kooks

I like that. 

I don’t really have anything novel to add to the conversation, but sure do miss his input here as well.  When I think back to my first stumbling across this gold mine of a forum circa 2001, his is the first name I remember.

I still haven’t attempted a proper gloss coat, but when I do it’ll be with his gloss recipe. 

Exactly.      Mike was truely the voice of experience.