Freelap cleanup mistake?

Hey guys! 

I’ve just finished up lamming the bottom of a board. And the free lap went smoothly until I realised I’d missed a few stringy parts and a few resin blobs that hit the deck foam. Then I made the next mistake of forgetting to baste my lap before flattening out the lam. 

So my 2 questions are

1. what’s the best way of clearing off stray strings and resin that’s hit the deck foam once the resin has kicked? 

2. where I’ve tidied up the lamination on the nose/tail/rail the resin has gummed slightly. The rail is sprayed black and the resin is clear. Will this show through after I’ve laminated the deck? If so how do i repair this little mistake before moving on?

Cheers!

Those little strings are fine to just leave them if they aren’t too bumpy/lumpy, I try to sand them down the best I can if they’re bad but you have to be real careful of the foam. Sometimes you can pull them off if they aren’t very wet out and stuck but again you have to be careful.

It would be better to baste the laps and those blobs/strings with some lam resin around those areas so you can sand them without hitting foam.

The parts over your color will go clear once it gets resin on it, just make sure the gummy stuff isn’t all smudgy with dirt or sandpaper debris. I usually wipe some acetone (if you’re using poly resin) over those areas to clean them off and you’ll be able to see it go clear over you color.

Check out some of Mcdings posts and the other guys about using a die grinder and a flat file in this thread. https://www.swaylocks.com/forum/109016/lap-sanding-tool

Thanks so much this Is perfect!

I thought lam resin was always tacky, how are you going to sand that? 

Laps will grind with a 50 or 80 grit Rolok disk and a die grinder.  They will gum up a bit, but you can usually get around a board with one disk.  Then drop it in acetone to soak off resin and clean for reuse.  I don’t usually baste clear lams unless they are on painted foam or lapped onto a tint or pigment.  When I baste a lap on foam I use straight lam resin, then die grind.  I wouldn’t use sanding resin because I would be concerned that the next lam or hot coat might have adhesion issues in those areas. Although if throughly sanded that shouldn’t be a problem.  Lowel