Handicapped Prone Board

After 4 knee surgeries, going to try prone handicapped surfing. It’s been nearly two years since I rode a wave. I am willing to ride white water, small waves, anything to feel the ocean’s energy again. I even installed handles on my fun board for steering

For added protection, I got a water helmet.

So with the knee issues will you be arm paddling the board or using fins on your feet? 

FWIW due to a service related injury I have been strictly prone for over ten years. Kipapa style.  

I admire the ‘never give up’ style from the Uncles. Plus D’s board looks like a big piece of Japanese candy…

I had to ‘goggle’ ‘kipapa style’. Is this right? 15 second video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeiSS0NhIRs

That’s Uncle Jarrett riding Malolo style in the video. Malolo is flying fish. 

Kipapa basically means riding prone. 

NICE!  Plus, you get to park it right up front, eh?

4 knee surgeries is just radical.  Gnarly.  I don’t really know what to say, but four??? Wow.  Respect to you for the drive to get back out there in the water.

There are a couple prone riders I follow on Instagram, @pronetoride and @rogerpronemankelly (who is also here on Swaylocks as proneman), you might want to check them out. The HC logo is too cool!  Front row parking can be the silver lining…

Good for you. There’s a lot to be said for the prone/paipo way, to my mind it’s the most intimate of the forms, give or take body surfing. 

The helmet’s a good move too,  especially in ‘Can you see me now, Idiot’ red. People just don’t look and when they do, they don’t (profane emphasis) see. More visibility is a wonderful thing. 

Dunno if you’ve run across this one: https://mypaipoboards.org/ - lot of stuff there, a lot of ideas. 

Hope that’s of use, and enjoy. 

doc…

I have, on occaision, ridden my 9’6" prone. it’s a good opportunity to get into some overhead waves.

I like it UncleD! 

In my old age, I’ve been riding body boards on my last few family trips to the beach…  

I can ride even if it’s only mushy whitewater soup.  Keeps me in the ocean…

What are the dimensions – length, width, thickness?

Actually it’s my old fun board.  8’ x 25" 4".  It paddles really well.

Heck, I kneeboarded for a full decade because of a blown shoulder.  Prone is still surfing.  Keep it going.

If anyone is interested, I have a “file” i made up on shape 3d for a belly board with a greenough style edge. They have been sitting half shapped for ages in the shed, moved house and they moved with me, My mate that I am making htem for has not been down for an age so they just haven’t been done.

I am more than willing to email the file and let any sway lockians use it or adapt it to make themselves a belly board. The purests will hate the idea of computer file but its all good, im still happt to share.