3D core

Hi there guys! 

Could not find an exciting topic about using a 3D core to strengthen a surfboard/kitesurfboard so I started a fresh one. 

I bought the following 3D core in a thickness of 3mm (https://shop.hp-textiles.com/shop/en/3D-CORE--5mm-PET-Foam-100Kg-m-.html). I was wondering if some of you have experience using this material and the way you can integrate it in a surfboard. I was thinking to milling away 3mm at the area I want it to be and simply laminate it with epoxy resin but not sure if this is possible. After that laminate the board like normal. Want to keep the board as lightweight as possible with a lot of strength. 

Already thanks for the help;) 

Interesting product , interesting idea , but not sure that I can see any advantages , does not appear to be too difficult to use , good luck

I’m interested in this aspect

“3-dimensional drapeability”

What does that mean? Can it bend around objects? If so, how does that help as a core?

I would imagine it could be a cool vacuum bagged layer. How ‘squishy’ is it? Like yoga foam or harder like eps foam?

This is a sandwich core usable for “compsand” style builds.

In order to get any benefit of it, you need to add fibres to both sides and you’ll need a proper system to press it down on the core. (vacuum bagging is most often used).

Adding it to a normal surfboard will make it heavier, not lighter. This stuff can save weight if you combine it with a lighter than normal foam core (e.g. 1lb / 15kg/m3 EPS foam).

So not sure why you’d want to add it to an existing board. It’ll make a tougher skin though but will also significantly stiffen your board.

3D Core PET 3mm used as a deck insert. Vacuum bagged. Very effective against under foot depressions. PET is a bit too heavy at 110 kg/m3 and surface absorption is elevated. I am now using their XPS foam at 30 kg/m3 and half the surface absorption compared to PET.

Beautiful craftsmanship! This is exactly what I want to use it for. During kitesurfing you often get heel dents after performing a lot of strappless airs. I just use EPS200 as a blank.  Can it only be added by vacuuming or are there other possibilities as far as you know?  Otherwise I have to arrange something. 

Did you use a milling machine to deepen the blank? It looks so smooth!

Already thanks!

Yeah, that looks really nice. I’m figuring you routed out the deck but how did you get that insert so nice and flush?

I try it same way for a kiteboard, pet foam, route with my one hand router far easier than i think. Glue with bag but form small under feet deck pad i think you can go with epoxy silica gluing past and masking tape. An alternative is to use thinner soric lrc, effective too against dent.

Nice work on that insert.  What is your glass schedule?  Meant to say;  What is your plan for a layup top and bottom?

the LibTech boards have been using something similar for years. 

As well as Appletree boards out of Europe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX2kuZP7E5E

the hex stuff is really just another option alternative to HD foams like divinycell,  other PETs, etc. 

But to get the benefit, it’s about creating a sandwhich, and using a very lighteweight foam core with a glass/HDfoam/glass sandwhich around that. Most often done with epoxy and a vacuum bag.  adjust the foams and glass for the flex/strength you want.