Painting over a dirty Lap?

Hi all,

So I’ve just laminated my first board with clear PU resin, and i’ve now noticed theres some dirt from the sanding the laps down and a diry resin finger blob I missed on the foam!

I’ve got some white matt spray paint I was thinking of using to cover up the dirty laps before applying the hot coat, is this a good idea? Or will it just look worse?

Nice one, cheers!

No that is not a good idea , completely finish the board and then reevaluate what you have and if nec you can then paint or use colored resin to cover the screw up .

Ok cool thanks for the reply, I’ll get it finished and fix all the mistakes together ha!

Design Master makes an acrylic spray paint that works very well. I’ve used it on both foam and lamination for a year now with zero adhesion problems. Essentially, I have four different colors that I sometimes use to cover up ding repairs. It’s a work of art in process. Super fast dry time too. Just know that the white will never match the white of the board perfectly because of the spectral distribution. 

Which one do you use? There’s a few different options: https://dmcolor.com/explore/color-sprays/

“COLOR SPRAYS - COLORTOOL SPRAYS - INDOOR, SATIN FINISH”

I sprayed stripes on one of my boards 1.5 years ago to cover up four dings I covered after running into a jetty. It’s still solid today. I scuffed the lam surface with 80 grit, vacuumed, sprayed, thin RR hot coat on top three hours later. Only caveat is the solvent they use is the strongest Ive ever smelled. Worse than marine varnish which I used on my woodworking projects. You really should have good ventilation, or leave the room for the afternoon afterwards with a window open. 

Hold the boat. Just today I ran into a problem and wanted to warn you. Previously, I had used colors red and turqiose which worked flawlessly. Today I used white in the excat same brand, model etc and the epoxy refused to adhere. Now, this could be the formula they use for white, it maybe the humidty in here is too high because of the heatwave, slowing the drying time down of the paint. Either way, better to test ahread of time if you proceed. Sorry about that, I assumed because it worked for two years if would continue, but I suppose you just cant be 100%

Thanks for the update about the white. 

As the day progressed, I thought about it and concluded that I jusy didnt let i dry enough. Operator error? So I let it sit and hit it again and it seems to have worked. I’ll let it sit overnight and sand it tomorrow, see if it doesnt flake off. I’ll keep you updated