Retiring my shop, Florida Shapers PM me for super deals

Well, 21 years of learning and learning and learning.  Time to close the shop and downsize.  I’ll still be involved in Swaylocks and build a board once in a while when the inspiration hits me.  But time to pass on my accumulated stuff to others still active in the craft.

Fins, boxes, box install tools, fiber glass, a few gallons of RR epoxy, lots of carbon fiber, vac bagging equipment and supplies, shaping stands, glassing tray, Makita planer, Bosch planer (both Casica modified), EPS hotwire kit, and countless other tools.  And several boxes of acrylic colors.

And finally, 21 years of templates.  This will be the hardest to part with.  But I’ll gladly give them to a good home.

Don’t cry for me Swaylocks Buddies.  I am at peace with this. PM me if interested.

all the best,

But… but… but…

… why?

‘Say it ain’t so Joe…’

I can dig it. I passed along some tools a couple months ago and got a text that they were being used. It made me feel good three times: letting them go, having more space in the garage, and knowing they’re being used.

Will look forward to your continued participation!

travel kit? going gypsy a fantastic alternative to los vegetantes paul jensen as a roll model…

i board bag two boards augmnted with templates[universal curves…swaylock itinerary?

in the wake of covid a long range plan… the state of education there

will be many empty highschool wood shops empty crying out for some

messy creativity… thus the spirit that brought me randomly here today…?state department of education… pick a state

dont leave out  ,a state of grace,… drop a knee and do a slw even cutback…

…ambrose…

So…

The Pig did it???

Tblank, hilarious. You remembered. But I’m Just moving to a small townhouse for lock and leave convenience so we can travel more 

it amazes me how much stuff I have collected over the years. Valuable stuff that no one seems to want. I can’t just put it on th street. 

all the best

Heard from a wise old owl; 

“All the Best”, Mr. Tate.

I hear yah, Greg. It’s hard getting rid of stuff. I ended up with my parents 66 years of holding onto stuff, my stuff, my buddies surfboard templates and supplies, surfing books after he died. I’m drowning in stuff and trying to get rid of it. Furniture, artwork,and books. Sometimes your cant donate good stuff to Goodwill, etc. I’m storing my kids stuff, wife’s stuff(shhhhhh) that she doesnt use, Of course I have more boards than I ride. Good luck and I’m glad I don’t live in Florida or I’d probably be over there adding to my stuff. Rich people problems… Mike

Oh Mike.  That is hilarious.  You understand me.  Yeah,  but you just can’t put this stuff on the street and watch the trash truck drive away.  This is valuable stuff.  And I may need it some day.  Like years from now, probably.  Maybe.  Or not.

I am grateful to the several guys who have helped me with this.  I’ve been pretty generous with them, I think.  Still a bit more to go.

But I remember a line from the book Caught Inside:  “when you see a wave on TV or anywhere, your first thought is ‘is that wave rideable, can I ride that wave?’.  Same with shaping.  You see a board you like and you think " I will build that board for me”, or " I wonder how he/she did that?".  You never give it up entirely.

I’m not leaving Sways.  I’m not through building boards.  But please.  For the love of god.  Come get some stuff.  Soon.

all the best

It’s good to hear that you’re at peace with this Greg…Ive just turned 65 , and have contemplated a similar move . However , Ive decided that a few more years would allow me to finish all unfinished projects , and finalize a few things that Ive been working on for many years…then maybe I can kick back and be at peace with such a big decision . All the best.

:)

Right now, i just wish i lived near you hahahahahah.

Drooling over the moded planers.

I’m in a similar situation. The board building addicition got to me pretty good too, but I lost my workspace in October 2019, and I’m not sure if I’ll build a new space. My shaping/sanding space has been overrun with all the stuff I had in the other workspace and much more. All of the boards I had stored are wrapped in plastic and stored where I can’t get to them without moving a truckload of other things. I didn’t realize how much I had until I cleared out the old house.

I’ll eventually have to make that decision, keep going or stop. Sadly, I’m at the point where I have gotten pretty good at using the tools of the trade, and I know enough about board design to satisfy myself. Probably cut it down to a board a year when I get going again.

Kayu, SharkCountry, everyone,  It is really cathartic to place this stuff with guys who will use it.  I was afraid I would be putting some of it on the street.  I’ve made a few boxes for me such as one for ding repairs, one for traveling to another shape bay, and one for glassing, Although I will likely not color or glass another board.  That is sad for me.  I put a few spin templates in an old board bag where they will likely stay.  Giving up almost 25 years of outline and rocker templates is also sad for me.  And I just found a big roll of a crazy colored (striped?) bamboo veneer that I had big plans for.  Crap.  Unlikely that will ever get used.

The best advice I can give for anyone contemplating the same move, is don’t do it all at once like I am doing.  Take a year or so to sell, give away or handoff everything you will part with.  I was smart enough to teach a few kids along the way and they are taking some stuff too.

all the best, boys, all the best

Howzit Greg,

Thanks so much for reaching out.  Sadly, I too am in a similar situation.  I have materials enough to make one more board if I can ever get to it, then I’ll have to retire from amateur board-building for now.  Life goes on.

Warm regards,

Andrew

Mike (& anyone else) I want surfing books magazines posters etc. Let me know. I should put a stuff wanted ad in classifieds.

Andrew, when you say “Howzit”, it reminds me of Kokua. 

all the best

Aloha Huck,

I have years and years of Surfers Journal, that need a new home.       This according to my wife.       She’s actually right, this time.      I’m starting to look like a hoarder!       They are yours for the taking.

I gave boxes of Surfers Journal to the local surf shop to give away with boards. At least they are not in the trash. 

all the best