High performance Single fin short board

Hi folks

I’m looking for a suggestion on a shaper to make a high performance single fin short board for Florida 

thanks in advance 

clemente 

Have you ever ridden a short singlefin before?   Or a singlefin of any length?   They don’t work just anywhere.   

Depends on what the definition of High performance is, to the individual.

If HP is defined as how the top wct surfers surf 1 foot lowers to 8 foot cloudbreak, then one is likely not going to be happy with a singlefin adapted from a thruster design and style of wave riding.

Perhaps look at Geoff McCoy’s efforts to refine performance singlefins, but most of the performance evolution has been centered on multifins, and not without good reason.

It would be interesting to see how a 6 foot HP surfboard and its fin would evolve, if thats where design efforts were directed, and how differently the wave’s face  would be approached. 

Much different lines, perhaps not pleasing to a surfer indoctrinated on the surf videos of today, but perhaps more pleasing to someone who’s never seen a wave ridden before.

It seems to me that if you’re gonna have someone shape a performance single you should pick a shaper who actually believes in the design.  

Like Dave Parmenter, for example

BTW, if you’re thinking about surfing singlefins then you can start by working on your bottom turns.   

No such thing as a high performance single fin…just saying.  There’s a reason we all, and I mean “all” moved to trifins in the late 70’s early 80’s.  I’m sure there will be those that will refute me…But I was a child of the 80’s I was in my prime…my 20 somethings. I wasn’t old and worn out when it started, I lived it, breathed it,I, I, I…  I suffered through the mid 70’s single fins, the MR style twin fins…but then I found god in the trifin…never looked back. All praise Simon Anderson!! can I get a fricking AMEN!!!

Resinhead has spoken…good luck on your 70’s quest.

This is Swaylocks , make your own .

Take a look at Rustly’s Bali singles.  But, I’ve surfed Florida, and I gotta say that a single fin would be my last choice for a board for there.  I’d go with a twin + trailer or a twin on a modern fish template like Gary McNeil’s Torus Twin.  I have some singlefin shortboards that I recently made, and one is absolutely magical - it is so far beyond what I rode back in the 70’s, but it likes California point breaks like Rincon.  I’d never take it out in short-ride beach break that is typical of Florida.