Spray foam compatible with EPS

Hi.  I’m doing a repair, replacing some fcs plugs with fcsII.  What happened was I used RR fast epoxy when setting the plugs and it kicked hot.  I remember I kept adding resin around the plugs and it kept draining down.  After that the plugs always leaked. Yesterday, I removed the plugs and all round the resin “H” tube the eps was gone.  I figure the hot epoxy melted it.  The resin tube touching the deck was the only thing holding the fins in place.

I got the plugs out OK with a hole saw but they have big cavities around where they used to be.  I’m thinking of just spraying some expanding foam in there before routing out for the fcsII.  I’m wondering if the stuff they sell at Lowes or Home Depot is compatible with eps?  I had some left over, but it won’t come out.  I could buy a can and test but if it doesn’t work, if it melts the eps I wasted money and material.

So if anyone has experience using expanding spray foam with Eps, please let me know.  Thanks.

Been there with the exotherm around fin boxes.

All the spray foams I’ve tried are too soft for the fin box area. I’ve used foam dust mixed with Gorilla glue, it will make a nice hard repair. You can also use the mix to glue in a small plug that you can route out. For bigger holes I use the glue mix and foam or wood plugs.

Thankis.  I’ve never used gorilla glue.  It expands a lot?  Like if I paint it on thick arond the sides of the cavities would it expand amough to fill?  Here’s some photos of the damage.  I think I used RR fast, or maybe even kwik kick, thinking it was such a small amount.  I knew something was up when the resin around the plugs kept draining and the left over resin in the cup got hot.  It’s a board that works really well, so it’s worth the effort to save.

The discoloration in the middle of the board means water was getting everywhere.

Agree, use ‘clear’ gorilla glue which is actually white when it goes off. The other stuff goes off brownish, great for an older board that’s developed a tan but not so good for new-ish work. 

As you are using it as a glue, I wouldn’t add any modifier to it, I would stick the boxes/plugs in and possibly use the glue alone to hold them. Howcome?

See, when you set the plugs or boxes in there just using epoxy, or resin, you are just sticking them to foam. Foam’s not that strong unless it’s real dense. When I do a box or plug replacement, I tend to bed it in cloth that laps out and ties it into the bottom. You then have some strength there. 

Now, Gorilla glue, it’s a water catalysed urethane foam. Like the old Clark foam, for instance, if you just dump some on a surface it becomes a large amorphous blob of fairly light, weak foam. Put it in a strong mold or cavity well clamped and it’s nice and dense and strong, densest, hardest and strongest at the edge. Clark’s molds, as I recall, were thick concrete. And heavy. 

Use it in a tight joint, well clamped, and it’s a very dense foam/glue. The nice thing about using it to reglue things that have worn and rattled themselves loose is that if you clamp it solidly it does indeed expand to fill voids or bad woodwork and it holds pretty solid and the foam in there is quite dense and doesn’t compress and loosen up…

Your options, then, are either

1) just glue the things in, use a fair amount of glue, some sort of seal plus pressure so when the glue goes off it doesn’t blow by and out but makes relatively dense foam. Watch out that it doesn’t exert pressure on the other side and push it out. You are trusting the glue to be watertight. You may not want to do that. So - 

1. do something similar, but wax the plugs/boxes so that they can release and you can get them out fairly easy. Foam is still dense, but now you can drill out a skosh oversize so that you can use some cloth to tie it all together.  And you’ll have a nice, strong installation. Definitely watertight. 

hope that’s of use

doc…

Thanks Doc, but right now I’m not at the phase of bonding the fcsII boxes.  I need to fill the cavity that the epoxy exotherm melted out. I don’t know if you can see in the photos, but the epoxy melted the eps about 1/2" around the fcs plugs and all the way to the deck.  I would say the empty cavity has a diamter of two inches at each plug. I figured exapnding foam would be the easiest, but Shark Country seems to think it is not dense enough.  If I use gorilla glue I figure I will have to build it up layer after layer.  How much does it expand?  2x?  3x? Also does the water evaporate out?  Water does unhappy things to epoxy.

2 part urethane foam comes in various densities and will give much better results when forced inside.

Having hard and soft parts next to each other is a recipe for trouble, it’s always good to have a medium density in between. Check link below it explains it all:

https://boardlady.com/injection.htm

My shop sells 2 part urethane at 75kg/m3 (4.6lb), 200kg/m3 (12.5lb) and 400kg/m3 (25lb). The 75kg/m3 (4.6lb) is the one you need in this case.

Foaming PU glue (gorilla) is indeed a good middle ground, but it won’t fill the cavity as homogenous as 2 part foam would. It would work great for small cavitities, though.

I have been doing all of my finboxes in EPS with some sort of HD foam and GG for the same reason, I exothermed some resin in light (.88 PCF) EPS under the plugs and did not discover it until later.

I’d be inclined to use GG to glue in some PU foam (heavy LB or tow board PU or tooling foam) since I have both GG and industrial foam scraps laying around. Having somthing solid for the GG to push against would help it to fill the cracks. You do have to provide a little ‘moisture’ for the GG to work, damp to the touch but not ‘wet’ or ‘dripping’… I wipe pieces with a wet rag and then leave them air out for a couple minutes while I get ready. I also use a little mister/atomizer that was once for a prescription nasal spray as it produces a really fine mist. I want to say it’s consumed in the reaction. One time I tried coloring GG with acrylic paint and it set it off foaming in the cup. Resin piments work fine.

Next would be to try some 4# or 6# pour foam. The 40$ cost could be justified by saving a favorite board and having a more controlled reaction.

A fresh can of Great Stuff would probably be the least expensive but most ‘experimental’ method. Maybe one shot in the hole to expand into the crater and another one to finish off closer to the surface? Put a weight on top to direct some of the expansion force sideways?

I still think having something solid as part of the fill will help the expanding part do its job better.

Hoping it all works out for you,

Ohhhkay, lets see if I can do an explanation here. 

And let me digress. See, some years ago, the Bright Idea for fixing busted boards was to drill into the busted board ends and stuff in a wooden dowel, ‘it will act like the stringer’ the eedjits would say. But the problem was that it would almost certainly fuc# up the alignment of the two pieces. “No problem” they said, and did a very oversized hole and poured in resin/filler powder mix, stuffed in dowels and set the pieces of the thing more or less  aligned in some sort of half baked jig. 

As is my wont, I ranted and raved a bit about just what a bad idea that was. And being me, I did it with examples. 

See, they put something hard in something soft: a cylinder of hardened resin plus filler plus dowel into foam. By way of explaining, I’d use a handy model: Irish Coffee. Coffee, sugar, Irish whisky ( ideally Bushmills) and whipped cream on top. Generally comes in a tall glass mug with a straw. So, you take the straw in both hands and, excerting all your strength, drag it through the whipped cream. .

Funny thing. It didn’t take all your strength, now did it. You can move that straw real easy. Hard things in soft things, not so good. At least not as structure. Don’t do it. 

Order me another one, I’ll repeat the demonstration. I don’t think you really understood how that worked, yeah, another Irish Coffee, mister bartender, we’ll make sure…

Who says teaching engineering isn’t fun.

Right, you have something fairly hard ( the fin hardware) and something quite soft ( the original foam) plus something else hard ( the glass skin of the board). You want to put them together so they stay together and stay in place. Not an easy problem. 

Now, to foams.

First, the home depot home and garden spray foams. Look, they are meant to be insulation. Low density, so they insulate well, being mostly encapsulated gas.Very soft, structurally. Not awfully strong.And not real controllable. Want to have some fun? Put that stuff in a sealable but not that strong container. Use quite a bit. Blows it apart.  Asd an aside, they have industrial spray foam setups for insulating houses. A high expansion type fore new construction, they spray it against the outside sheathing and let it expand inwards and trhen there is a low expansion type for retrofits on existing houses with finished walls. They tried it with the regular high expansion foam, it blew the walls apart, 

Next, the two part expanding foams. The densities vary, I’m not sure how they do it but if I was building it I would vary the amount of gas ( CO2?) the reaction produces, the less gas the more dense and conversely. Lovely stuff, homogeneous for the most part, but again, don’t overstuff the cavity, you get bulges at best. In the boat biz, we often foam void spaces to give the Coast Guard required reserve buoyancy requirement. But when somebody doesn’t read directions and puts too much foam mix in…lets say it gets ugly. A lot of rebuilding needed.But it’s pretty tough stuff, has some adhesive properties.  

And with all these you have something not very dense or stiff - the foam the board is made of- an d something pretty hard that['s taking a structural load ( the fin gizmos, boxes or plugs or whatever) and you need to make the transitions without any abrupt changes and ideally, not making it into a major project… That’s hard. Ideally, you’d have a foam that’s not very dense at the outside where it contacts the foam and quite dense where it is sticking to the fin whatsits. Fairly stiff, etc, etc. And you could do it on one shot, rather than several layers plus drilling and so on.

Now, JRandy has a very good idea, use gorilla glue to glue in some pieces of dense foam. Sand to shape, drill, done. Maybe glass and tie the fin hardware into the bottom glass. If I had Hans’ access to pour foam, I might do several pours, fill completely with the lightest foam, drill that well oversize, denser foam, drill oversize, densest foam, drill that pretty close and mount your fin mounts, ideally bedded in glass that ties into the board glass and there you are. But these are ideal jobs, the best possible ways to do it.

Okay, what I’m suggesting is something to save some steps. The gorilla glue expands, a little or a lot, depending on how constrained it is. If you can do it ( a fair anount of glue, clamp the fin hardware in place so the foam can’t move it or expand past it) you could get dense foam at the hardware that expands/gets less dense when it gets to the foam in the board. And if you do it right, it;s one and done, not layering the stuff. I’d do it that way if I was doing a repair job for somebody else. But I want to get the job done fast, low cost to me, and I’m a cocky SOB with maybe more faith in my abilities than I really should have. . 

What should you do?

Depending on your access to stuff, and we all do that, I’d suggest you go with either glued in dense foam or a single pour of the two part foam, I might go to medium density rather than the lightest. Foam pieces are a lot of work, but maybe easier to  come by for you. Pour foam- the minimum quantities of that stuff are expensive and way way more than you need for this one job. If you have a boatbuilder buddy with leftover components from a job, good. I know such people, As the saying goes, if all ya got is a hammer, everything is a nail.

Hell, if it was me, doing my own,. I might just fill with pour foam, glass over it and then glass on fins. But that’s me.I notice the original foam bits in there are blackened, prolly due to leakage around the fin plugs. You want to prevent that,

That wasn’t a whole lot of help, now was it? 

doc…

OK.  Thanks for the replies.  This is what I’ve decided to do- the first suggestion from Sharkcountry.  I’ll make  a mix of gorilla glue and #3 eps “dust” (shavings from a surform).  Mix it so it is mostly eps.  Paint it inside the cavity.  Let it expand. Repeat until cavity is filled.  Then route out and install fcsII as normal.

I’ve used two part ppour foam when I worked at Dencho Marine and just remember one thing- it practically tattoos you if it gets on your skin.  Also don’t feel like ordering and waiting and also having mostly left over that I may never use.  GG is available at Lowes today for a few bucks.

I’ll report back.

The GG foam slurry will be enough to build up the sides of the holes. You can make small holes running diagonally into the foam to give it a bit more anchoring. The glue will expand a bit but not as much as the spray foam. It can develop more bubbles when you don’t have pressure, but it is a nice hard foam when fully cured. Be sure to tape up the areas you don’t want to have to clean up later.

I’ve used GG as the bottom “glue” on a few recent builds using probox in EPS. I use less epoxy which helps keep the exotherm down. Proboxes in EPS can end up with severe exotherm. I have not used the FCS 2 boxes yet, still using the original probox or FCS Fusion.

Are you using GG for the bottom of the boxes?  Or bottom skins?  I remember it was being touted as a magic ingredient for a while but then got discarded because it becomes brittle with age.

I now mix slow and fast RR epoxy for boxes.  I use slow for bagging because it give me more time during the panic process.  Then I use fast/slow mix for lams.  Fast for hotcoats.

I might have used kwik kick for these boxes.  I bought KK once.  I swtiched back to the other system when I leaerned you can mix fast and slow.

Like every epoxy board builder i had this problem. I first used home dépôt pu foam and pu glue with mid résults. Then i move to a dry surform EPS shaves+epoxy micro slurry mix, cured harder. Now i use a long set 50°C exotherm epoxy slurry for every fill, no more problems. Come back to fcs1 plugs with H pattern and all around holes under skin reinforcement, 0 returns, fins tab break before plugs move.

I used the GG for the bottom of proboxes. Just to get the bottom set and let the expansion fill in a little of the gap around the base, then I finish with epoxy slurry. I use aerosil more than cabosil, but I also use glass fiber that I cut from left over cloth. I use a pair of scissors and cut it as short as I can for a glass fiber/epoxy filler. I usually have glass lining the hole, and most of the boards I did in the last year or two have a glass cap over the boxes. If I use FCS Fusion, I just do it the way FCS says to do it, but I tend to miss all the options probox offers. In PU foam I just use the original plugs.

I don’t know why, but I’ve torn out fins a lot. I’ve broken the layup with glass on fins, have had the glass delam under the fin on a few, and those were bought from respected shops back when most boards had glass on fins.

I’ve been using Fiberglass Hawaii Aluzine resin with fast and slow hardeners. Slow for laminations and fin boxes. Fast for coats after the lams. I glass at room temp and it can get pretty hot here, using slow hardener gives me a little more time to mess with colors.

I don’t use GG for applying skins, I only use epoxy. The last several boards I did with wood skins were just the tops using thin balsa, and I laminated the board with a single layer of glass first. The wood is only for skin strength to avoid all the pressure dents. My boards are stiffer because I use 2-4oz bottom and 3-4oz top glass schedule, or 2/2 with balsa. All stringerless EPS or XPS foam.