Blast from the past; I reshaped an egg

About 20 years ago I built a 6-10 singlefin egg. I kept that board in my rotation for years until it finally delammed (thanks to one of my kids leaving out on the beach with the deck up.  

Then in 2010 I stripped the board and reshaped it.  At the time I was following the wide point back tangent in my templates and I was screwing around with elements that the Simmons and McCoy designs shared in common but with a couple other elements from the hulls.  So I ended up with this:  6-0 x 20.5" x 2.5" with really low nose and tail rockers, a heavy and blocky tail foil and a mild hullish entry > fishy midsection > rolled vee tail.   Wide point back a few inches from center.    

When I took the centerfin box out of the donor carcass I ripped some of the stringer so i glued in a section of high density PU foam before shaping.  To cover it up and provide more support for the new centerfin box I vacuum bagged bamboo veneers to the top and bottom.   Then I glassed it all in Vinylester.    

I ran the board as a singlefin for the 1st 6 months but I eventually got bored with the limitations of the singlefin in this length.  It was fast and (surprisingly) held really well when there was some juice, but the overall length wasn’t long enough to get much out of it in smaller conditions.  Needs more length to work in those conditions as a singlefin.   I tried several fins starting the elliptical Starfin (not much drive but very pivoty) but eventually settled on a Wayne Rich Power fin (I don’t have a pic for it, though).   

Anyways, Probox was a thing here at the time so I added a set of quad boxes and started screwing around with quad fins.   I tried a keel in the rear and a canted canard in the front - that combo worked great.  I tried a 2+1 using a Bonzer center and that worked okay, but the set I really ended up liking was a set of Takayama Halo style reverse D templates that I resized.  

Overall, I ended up liking this board a lot in smaller conditions.  It is loose and easy to turn from my normal stance and I get plenty of drive off of almost all the fin setups I tried.  My only gripe is that it was a little undervolumed for my at my age and stature.  It paddled okay but the float was a little light for me.   I wouldn’t have had that problem had I started out with a virgin blank.  

I called this board the anti-fish because it had all the upsides of a fish and almost none of the downsides.  I guess my point for this thread is that wierdo mashups can be fun, too.